2020 wrestling season opens strong

Bernards Wrestling is off to a hot start winning their last four matches with wins over Montgomery, Pingry, Summit, and Roselle Park. The victory over Roselle Park marked the first time the Bernards Wrestling team has ever beat Roselle Park. The Montgomery and Roselle Park matches came down to the wire, but Bernards was able to come through in the end.

Unfortunately for the team, Senior Captain Justin Villani and junior standout Luke Burns both suffered knee injuries during the preseason. Both of them are out indefinitely which has made two huge holes in the lineup. The lineup is already filled with rookies and the two injuries add more youth to the young lineup.

The rookies this year include Freshman George Flaherty(106lb) Sophomore Sam Weiss(113) Freshman Alex  Fragassi, Sophomore Nico Botti, Sophomore Brady Walsh(170), Sophomore John Perling(220), and Freshman Heavyweight Pablo Brietz. The rest of the lineup has at least some Varsity experience which includes Sophomore Sean Hunnewell(120) and if Senior Justin Villani were to return he would take Sean Hunnewell’s spot at 120, Senior James Kessler(126), Sophomore Tyler Austin(132) Junior Jack Chisholm(145), Senior Tyler Diamond(152), Senior Colin Walsh(182), and Junior Jack Elliott.

Despite the team missing two of their top wrestlers Bernards is managing a 4-0 record with outstanding performances from Sean newell, James Kessler, Tyler Austin, Brady Walsh,  Colin Walsh, and Jack Elliot.