Girls Soccer has big goals and is ready to prove themselves

Caroline Hunnewell lines up to make a pass up the field.

After a tough loss to Ramsey in the semifinals Girls Soccer is ready to show everyone what they are capable of. The girls have been working hard since the preseason and the team has high hopes to improve off last season.

Senior goalie and captain Susan Oberschmidt is on pace for her 500th career save. She has been the starting varsity goalie since her freshman year, and Oberschmidt is set to play soccer at Indiana University next fall.

Oberschmidt said, “this season we are mostly focused on filling the starting spots spots left from last year and being able to hold our own against the teams we were able to overcome last year. So far we have been able to tie quality teams like Chatham and we will be preparing for more games like those as the season progresses. I am looking forward to a strong last season here at Bernards, roll ‘Nards! ”

The team played Voorhees on September 10th. After no score during regulation, the girls went into double overtime tying with a final score of zero to zero. Later that week the team was set to play North Plainfield. Bernards won two to zero. Both goals were scored by Junior Ella Bogdan . The first goal was scored in the first half off a PK. The second goal was scored in the second half again by Bogdan and assisted by Junior Avery Schuller .

This season has been full of change for the team. The team lost a lot of key seniors last year but are ready to rebuild and go for another sectional title.

Senior captain Caroline Hunnewell said, “I have high hopes for us as a team this year. We lost some core players last year so it’s been hard getting back into things but we have a great team chemistry and a lot of fun together which is starting to show more and more during each game. I love this team and I would love to see us get another sectional title win this year.”

The team played at Warren Hills on Tuesday, September 17th. They let up one goal to Warren Hills in the first half. Senior Jenna Mchale scored the first goal to tie the game up, followed up with another goal scored by sophomore Kaleigh Reaves. To end the game, Junior Lauren Bogdan scored the last goal off a PK after getting fouled in the box. Bernards overcame Warren Hills and won the game three to one.

There is lots to expect from the girls soccer team this season as they rebuild and try to find the right mix. They are working harder than ever and have the best moral when it comes to picking each other up and trying their best. The team is working towards a great season and fans should expect a long postseason run and nothing less.