XC runs their way to the finish line

The boys and girls cross-country teams end their victorious seasons by both finishing top ten in the Group 2 Championships on November 11.

The girls team after not being able to compete at Groups Championships last year, was able to make a comeback this year finishing fifth overall, Caroline McDowell leading the way finishing 27th place, Olivia Musum followed behind with 33rd place, Deirdre Kelshaw finishing 37th place, Sage Rudolf finishing 40th place and Hadley Meckes finishing 41st place.

To round out varsity seven competing were Heather Wright and Meghan Connelly. The girls really kicked it off strongly this season with a great beginning at Randolph Invitational Meet finishing at 2nd place on September 9 and placing 2nd at Skyland Conference meet on October 19 and they will continue to improve for many years to come.

“The girls team this year was stronger than ever. From the freshman, junior varsity, and varsity teams everyone put their absolute best efforts and I couldn’t be prouder with the outcome of the season” says Sophomore Skylar Myrtetus. varsity rising juniors and seniors Abigail Lim, Lucia Guerrero, Charlotte Principal and Skylar Myrtetus will be looked to add to the varsity scoring in the 2018 season.

The boys team, Stuart Gruters finishing 18th place, Alex Kotwick placing 39th place, Thomas Perone placing 70th, Eddie Byers placing 80th and Ryan Kleinhert placing 85th summing up the score, they were also followed by Dane Oberschmidt and Charlie Porr, the boys placing ninth overall makes it the sixth year they have finished top 10 in Groups final.

“I was really content with my season this year if it weren’t for the coaches and my teammates I wouldn’t be running as well as I did this season. The varsity and junior varsity boys improved greatly throughout the season and I couldn’t be prouder” says sophomore Charlie Porr. The varsity boys finished the season with a strong intake of team work and effort.

“I was incredibly happy that my teammates kept improving. I have never had more fun as an athlete during cross country than I did this season. As the captain, I got to see my team become better athletes and better racers. All I can hope is that they agree with what I’ve said here” says Senior Stuart Gruters.

The varsity boys team will refresh next year with a talented group of incoming juniors and seniors, Julian Asper, Marlon Rave, Colin Hennessy, Chris Reyda and Ryan Frank.