“Fixer Upper” draws to an end

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Fixer Upper” draws to an end

Lauren Browne, Entertainment Editor

For many, TV networks such as DIY! and HGTV have countless shows that display home renovations done by professionals with dramatic and stunning results. Via their website magnoliamarket.com, Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV’s “Fixer Upper” have announced the end of their popular show, with season five being their last. Chip brings humor and silliness into the show, while Joanna brings her style and design sense. Mainly drawing from rustic farm houses and implementing charm and a touch of industrialism, the two have created a much-loved television show.

Their company, Magnolia Homes has created a home decor line with the retailer Target, called “Hearth & Hand”, arriving in stores November 5th, 2017. The couple writes on their website, “Though our Fixer Upper chapter is coming to a close, we aren’t done with Waco. We aren’t done renovating homes. We aren’t done designing things to make your home your favorite place on earth. We aren’t done working towards restoration in all things or helping out those who could use a hand. In fact, in all of these things, we are just getting started.”

The show first aired in 2013, and has been successful on the network, receiving a rating of 8.5/10 on IMDb. Yet, with their four children, there is speculation that the couple would like to focus on raising their children, with the oldest being twelve, and removing themselves from the spotlight for the time being. Senior Uma Patla says “I’m disappointed but it’s probably better for them cause they have young kids. It must be hard to raise a family, run a show, and a business simultaneously. I will definitely continue to watch re-runs of the show!”

Other popular shows on the network include “Property Brothers: Buying and Selling”, “Flip or Flop”, “Rehab Addict”, “House Hunters” and “Love It or List It”. Although, the couple starring in “Flip or Flop” filed for divorce in May of 2016, the show continues to air on the network. Home renovation shows allow for a look into the design process, including the construction, finance, and real estate aspects, drawing in viewers of all ages and interests.

Senior Madi Hugo says “Chip is always super silly and Joanna is sweet. Their renovations are always so stunning and embody a rustic chic style. Most renovation shows do not have hosts with as great a dynamic as Chip and Joanna. I will truly miss “Fixer Upper”!”. Other renovation shows are still on HGTV, but the unique style and personalities of Chip and Joanna Gaines will be missed as their popular television show draws to a close.