More Than Me Club starts #ForHer campaign

There are many exciting and interesting clubs here at BHS, but one of the most interesting clubs here is the More Than Me Club.

The More Than Me Club is a smaller offshoot of a local charity, the More Than Me Academy. The Academy was founded in Bernardsville by BHS alumni Katie Meyler.

The academy inspired another BHS alumni Sophia Das to found the More Than Me Club. The More Than Me Academy works to take young girls living in Liberia off the streets, and also helps them to be able to go to school. The More Than Me Academy’s research shows that a lot of these girls are victims of sexual exploitation and Ebola. This gives them a chance to be strong women, while changing their lives.

The club specifically sponsors the fourth grade classroom at the More Than Me Academy. Through the charity’s current social media campaign #ForHer, anyone can sponsor a girl for just $10 per month.

The More Than Me Club at BHS operates exclusively at the high school, but it is an offshoot of a bigger charity, the More Than Me Academy.

Although the More Than Me Club doesn’t directly take girls in Liberia off the streets like the More Than Me Academy does, it does a great job of fundraising for the Academy.

Starting November 7, More Than Me will open pre order sales for HopeFit+ForHer leggings and sports bras.

Club advisor Natalia Youssef said, “These leggings and sports bras are made of the same material as Lululemon clothing, but will be sold for half the price ($52 for pair of leggings, $36 for sports bra).

The first 100 people who pre-order apparel will recieve a package signed by Daya, singer of hit singles “Don’t Let Me Down” and “Sit Still, Look Pretty.”

After the clothing sale wraps up, More Than Me looks forward to their next project, the cotton candy sale. Students can order cotton candy from members of the club, and all proceeds go towards the More Than Me Academy.

Natalia said, “Our end goal for the More Than Me Club is to seriously contribute to $30,000 end goal that the More Than Me Academy set for the #ForHer campaign.”

They will reach that goal by providing students with exciting fundraisers, that will go to a great cause. Although they have some upcoming fundraising planned out, end of year fundraising has not yet been determined.

Anyone could join the More Than Me Club at anytime. They just ask that person if they were to join the club, that you are fully devoted to it, and do your best to show up as much as possible. For students still looking for a club to join, More Than Me will surely fill your needs.

It’s very different to other clubs at BHS because it supports a charity founded in Bernardsville, as well as gives participants a way to build a relationship with fourth grade girls and become strong role models for them.

More Than Me adds to the variety of great clubs here at Bernards, as it is one of few working for a charity. The More Than Me club is sure to be a learning, fun, and fulfilling experience.

The More Than Me Club meets every other Thursday in Ms. Venezio’s room, B-301. If you have any questions about the More Than Me club, contact club advisor Natalia Yousseff by emailing her at [email protected].