Devils Retire Martin Brodeur’s Number

On February 9, the New Jersey Devils will retire longtime goaltender Martin Brodeur’s number 30 in a ceremony before their game against the Edmonton Oilers. Brodeur, who played 21 seasons with the Devils, won 691 games in the NHL, 125 of which were shutouts. All but three of those wins came with New Jersey, and those three wins came during a brief seven-game stint with the St. Louis Blues in the 2013-14 season. Additionally, a statue of Brodeur will be placed outside of the Prudential Center, the first statue of a Devils’ player in the team’s history. A competition run by the team will allow five fans to place any Martin Brodeur memorabilia they want to inside of the statue like a time capsule.

Throughout his career, Brodeur won three Stanley Cups in 1995, 2000 and 2003, five Eastern Conference championships in 1995, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2012, one Olympic Gold Medal with Canada in 2010, the Calder Memorial trophy as the NHL’s best rookie in 1994, the Vezina trophy as the NHL’s best goaltender in 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008, won five Jennings trophies for the least amount of goals allowed in a season, and was a ten-time all star. In 2004, Brodeur led Team Canada to victory at the World Cup of Hockey, allowing only five goals in five games during the tournament. Brodeur also scored three goals in his career, the only goaltender to do so in NHL history. His first goal came in the 1997 Stanley Cup Playoffs against his hometown team, the Montreal Canadiens. Additionally, Brodeur is the only goaltender in NHL history to score a game-winning goal, doing so against the Philadelphia Flyers in the early 2000s.

During his playing career, Brodeur was best known for his excellent puck movement skills, almost always making perfect passes up to his defensemen and forwards. In 2005, the NHL implemented a trapezoid behind the goal to limit where goaltenders can play the puck, and this change is often referred to as “the Brodeur rule”. During his career, Brodeur recorded 45 assists, only trailing Tom Barrasso’s 48. In the 2011-12 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Brodeur recorded four assists, the most in one playoff run in NHL history. In 2013, EA Sports announced that Brodeur would appear on the cover of the NHL 14 video game, the first goaltender to appear on the cover  since John Vanbiesbrouck in 1997.

Brodeur will join former defensemen Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer and Ken Daneyko as the only Devils players to have their numbers retired. He is also one of five players in the team’s history to have been on the team for all three Stanley Cup championships, and he is the only player in team history to have been on the team for all five of the team’s Eastern Conference Championships. After his 21-year career with the Devils, Brodeur signed with the St. Louis Blues as a free agent in November of 2014, appearing in seven games for the team before announcing his retirement in January of 2015. He is still with the Blues organization as an assistant general manager.