Let there be love…

Let there be love...

When Valentine’s Day rolls around, many stagger to buy flowers, a card or chocolates for their loved one. The holiday is thought of by many as a “consumer holiday” not having much meaning beside the hype that the industries have created. Previously on February fourteenth, Americans have spent an average of twenty billion dollars buying gifts. Many don’t even know the history of the holiday, they just know that they should show their affection for the one they love. The history of St. Valentine’s Day dates back to fifth century. In history, there was a Roman Emperor who outlawed marriage because he believed it was distracting his army. A priest named Valentine disagreed with this, and began secretly and illegally marrying couples. When the Emperor discovered he was doing this, Valentine was sent to prison and later executed. He was killed on February 14, hence the reasoning behind celebrating love on this day.

When Valentine’s Day rolls around, many stagger to buy flowers, a card or chocolates for their loved one. The holiday is thought of by many as a “consumer holiday,” not having much meaning beside the hype that the industries have created. Previously on February fourteenth, Americans have spent an average of twenty billion dollars buying gifts. Many don’t even know the history of the holiday, they just know that they should show their affection for the one they love. The history of St. Valentine’s Day dates back to the fifth century. In history, there was a Roman Emperor, Claudius II, who outlawed marriage because he believed it was distracting his army. One story suggests that a priest named Valentine disagreed with this, and began secretly and illegally marrying couples. When the Emperor discovered he was doing this, Valentine was sent to prison and later executed. He was killed on February 14, hence the reasoning behind celebrating love on this day.

Another story suggests a different background of the holiday. Valentine is believed to have help prisoners escape prison. He was eventually killed for helping these people escape. According to this legend, Valentine sent the first “valentine” from his jail cell, to a love of his who frequently visited him. He would commonly sign his letters to her “from your valentine.” This is where the expression stems from, thus making it a tradition to give your loved one a card on this day. Regardless of the inconsistency between stories of exactly who St. Valentine was, it is clear that he was a brave, sympathetic and romantic figure. Also, because of the discrepancy between stories, they may have been two different men who influenced the holiday. Although we may never know the exact origin of Valentine’s Day, the theme has remained clear. Use this day to show the ones you love that you care. If you still consider it just a consumer holiday and refuse to spend money towards the industry, refrain from gift giving and instead show kind gestures.