Meghan+Shelley+poses+as+she+takes+a+picture+of+herself+at+home+

Photo by Meghan Shelley

Meghan Shelley poses as she takes a picture of herself at home

Crimson Staff Senior Meghan Shelley: Opinions Editor

Q: What made you join journalism?
A: Honestly, I have just always loved to write. I saw that it was a choice as an elective, and although I knew very little about journalism specifically, I was intrigued by the idea that I’d not only be creatively writing, but publishing my work.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about journalism?
A: My favorite thing about journalism has to be the feeling of fulfillment it provides me. There is nothing more fulfilling than finally getting to hold a copy of our most recent print issue after having spent weeks developing stories, editing them, and fussing over details in the layout. It makes all the hard work so worth it.

Q: What has been your favorite article you have written?
A: I’d have to say my favorite article I’ve written would be “Euphoria must be viewed through a critical lens” which I wrote in February of 2022. I think for me, this article marked a switch in my style of journalism, where I felt comfortable enough to experiment with finding my own creative voice and niche. I remember deciding to no longer allow myself to stifle my use of more flowery language and detail, which resulted in my passion really shining through, and creating overall better (albeit wordier) pieces. For that reason the article has always held a special place in my heart, as it served as the fundamental basis of my growth as a writer for The Crimson.

Q: What are your plans for after high school?
A: After high school I will be completing a joint degree through two universities, St. Andrews in Scotland and William and Mary in Virginia. I’ll be majoring in English, and hope to continue student journalism throughout college! I’d love to be a writer one day, in any capacity.

Q: How has journalism helped you as a student?
A: Journalism truly provides you with so many important skills, not only in the academic sphere, but in life. Conducting interviews and publishing your opinions never starts as comfortable, but leaving your comfort zone to take on these tasks pushes you to find your voice, and instills students with a certain confidence that is invaluable. I’m incredibly grateful to have been a part of The Crimson these past few years as it has continuously challenged me to find- and use- my voice.

Q: What advice would you give first year journalism students?
A: I would tell first year journalists to never be afraid to take risks! Find what you feel passionate about writing and chase it. There are so many important laws in place to protect student journalists, familiarize yourself with your rights and go after the story.

Q: How did you become an editor in chief? What are the tasks and responsibilities to have this position?
A: I dedicated a lot of my high school experience to the newspaper, starting as a staff writer, then becoming a section editor, before reaching this position. I was able to take on this role because I stuck with the program, always ensuring there was room in my schedule for journalism each year, which had quickly become my favorite class. Responsibilities vary, as I’m sure other editors will tell you. I think we each bring something unique to the table as well; Jane has always been so talented with layout, Sydney is so great with organizing and directing the staff, and Matt has been killing it with the podcast, just to name a few. We all work really well together and play off these strengths to create the best newspaper possible.

Q: What made you want to take on this role? A: The main motivation behind my choice to take on this role has always been my passion for journalism, concurrent with my general love for writing. But that’s just the simple answer, because I was only able to explore this passion because of the incredible support of our amazing group of staff here at The Crimson, and of course the guidance of our dedicated adviser, Mrs. Hunkele. I hope that as Editor-in-Chief I have been able to inspire and guide younger students with a similar passion for investigation and publishing.

The Crimson • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in