Students Dance Night Away at Night of the Stars and Sadie Hawkins

Juniors Paige Paladini, Jackie Perez, Somers Laffey and Bunny Campbell join hands to share a dance together.
Matthew Carty

Two school-sponsored events, Night of the Stars on January 24 and Sadie Hawkins on February 6, brought BHS students together for two nights of fun and excitement.

Traditionally, Night of the Stars is a dance for the senior class. Every year, seniors dress up in costumes and attend the dance at the Olde Mill Inn in Basking Ridge. Senior Lauren Robinson says, “I saw a group dressed up as Mario and Luigi and it was really cute!” This year, Night of the Stars was at 8 P.M. on Friday, January 24th after midterm exams. Students generally agree that it is a nice break from the studying and a good way to relax after exams. However, some students are concerned that there wasn’t enough time to prepare for the dance. Senior Lauren Robinson says, “I think maybe it could have been the week after so that we had time to prepare our costumes.” Since the last exam was on Friday, there was no conflict between students needing to stay home and study for their exam the following day.

Ticket sales go to paying for the event and to BHS to pay for other school events, such as Sadie Hawkins, and other school resources and materials, such as textbooks. Some seniors choose to go in a group, and the group desses up together. Lauren dressed up and says, “I’m really excited to dress up and dance with my friends.” The Olde Mill provides refreshments and food, which has been very good in past years.

Unlike Night of the Stars, Sadie Hawkins admits all grades.There is also refreshments and dancing. Every year, students are asked to dress up in a different color. This year, they were asked to dress up in black and red in order to save five dollars off the price of admission. Sadie Hawkins has a twist on the traditional dance format as Freshman Emily Certisimo explains, “It’s one of the few times the girl gets to ask the guys.”  Proceeds from ticket sales go to Bernards High School, in order to help defray costs for school materials.