Recap of choir trip to Nashville

Gabby Denicola
Bernards choir members take a picture in true country style

From March 16 to March 19th, the choir took a trip to Nashville, Tennessee to perform their songs, explore the town, and experience its musical history. The trip was mostly led by the choir teacher Mr. Lapine, with the help of several other chaperones. The group first took a plane to Tennessee, then traveled by bus to arrive at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center.

The hotel itself offers a variety of different activities. Located in a large glass enclosure, it features a multitude of indoor gardens, water falls, rivers, restaurants, stores, and pools. The first day offered time for the choir to explore the hotel and Nashville. They were given the freedom to wander around in groups of three until it was time to recuperate. In the meantime, the groups visited multiple different stores and even went line dancing.

The second day was a big day for the choir. They visited Centennial High School and performed a few of their songs for the judges, and were awarded medals in the end. They then visited RCA Studio B, a studio where famous artists such as Elvis Presley and Dolly Parton have been in before. Each group was given up to seven minutes to perform, and had a great time doing so. Max Lenci ‘24 shared, “It was really incredible to record at such a historic studio– it made me feel like Elvis!”After they concluded their recording session, they ended their long day with a trip to Dave and Busters, enjoying plenty of food and games.

The third day presented the choir with plenty of insight into the town of Nashville. They toured the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, which is one of the largest music-related museums in the world. It features many real artifacts from old and new country singers, including Taylor Swift, Johnny Cash, Carrie Underwood, and more. It also includes many details about the history of country music, a genre that is especially popular in the South. After the tour was over, the groups were able to disperse and shop around downtown Nashville, which features plenty of boutiques, souvenir shops, restaurants, and more.

The groups then recollected and visited the Hermitage, the home of the seventh president Andrew Jackson. They went on a self-guided audio tour, viewing and learning about the mansion and its history.
They concluded the night with a concert at the Grand Ole Opry. As a surprise, the group saw famous country singer Garth Brooks and his wife. The concert provided both a fun experience to cap off the trip, but also an opportunity to witness a highly esteemed singer perform live.
The choir trip ended on Sunday, March 19. When asked about her thoughts of the overall experience, Monique Dori ‘24 exclaimed, “The trip was so much fun! We got to bond and experience such a music-rich city.”

The four day Nashville trip provided students with opportunities to sing and perform as a choir, but also learn more about music and culture.