Girls soccer to face off against Ridge High School at Red Bull Stadium

Creative Commons
Image from inside the famous Red Bull Arena of Harrison, NJ

The rivalry between Bernards and Ridge has been ongoing for more than a hundred years. Beginning in the fall of 2022, Bernards and Ridge girls’ soccer faced off in the first South Finley Derby, and will continue to be a tradition for years to come. For the most part, this game was back and forth between both teams, and at the half, the score was tied 0-0. After the half, both teams took the field wanting to win which caused the remaining of the game to be even more competitive.

Unfortunately for Bernards, Ridge scored both of their goals late into the second half. The score at the end of the game was 2-0 Ridge. Despite this, both teams were eager to play each other again. Alexa Paterno 25’ says “I’m excited for this rematch and ready to get back on the field.”

Fortunately, this opportunity arises again, and both teams will see each other later in the year. However, this time the game will be played in Red Bull Arena. For years, Red Bull has been giving schools across the state the opportunity to play in their arena, but this year it is the first time a team from Somerset County has been invited to play.

Playing in a professional arena is another impressive achievement the girl’s soccer team can add to their growing list. Considering there is an expectancy of around 1,000 people, this helps prepare players who are looking to play at the college level. Also, the elevated pressure that this game will have helps prepare the team as a whole for bigger games that they will play in when it comes to the county and state tournaments. Publicity-wise, this is a huge event for the team. If they win, this could draw a lot of attention toward Bernards from other teams around the states. Thus, painting a bright future for the girl’s team.