Ninth Period Academic Classes Hinder Student Success

Bernards should consider 9th period study hall or elective because it will eliminate students missing academic classes scheduled for last period. Due to Bernards’ competitive athletic program, teams are scheduled for away games or championship games that require athletes to leave early from school, and especially miss out on 9th period. While athletes are participating in school sports during this time, they are missing content from class. The problem is obvious–no academic class should be held during 9th period. During sports seasons, the average absents rise during 9th period.

According to Ms. Malzone, students were released 23 times for the fall season for a game or match. This includes dismissals as early as 10:30 AM. Missing academic class time creates an additional challenge on students who are already choosing to take on multiple challenges, that being a college-level course and a sport. The commitment of attendance necessary for class is just as important as the commitment necessary to the team. While it is great to focus on sports, students are sacrificing class time, resulting in the commitment to independent learning that will never equate to being present in class. Student athletes are indirectly at a disadvantage for taking on a challenge. In addition, teachers are burdened to manage make-up work. Along with the unnecessary burden on both the teacher and student, absences interfere with group work, class discussion and ultimately impact other students by changing the dynamic of class.

AP Psychology teacher Ms. Cerza said, “All athletes are impacted when they miss class because they never really can make it up. Students can make up the work, but they miss the benefits of class discussion.”

In addition, Bernards offers an array for Advanced Placement classes for students aspiring to receive college credit in high school. Along with enrollment in the course, students prepare for a national exam in early May testing the core content taught throughout the year. Considering the goal of all AP classes is preparing for the AP exam in May, spring athletes are missing massive amounts of content due to their sports schedule. With the AP exam around the corner for spring athletes, specifically, they cannot afford to miss the lesson or review in class.

Junior Christiane Krimmel said, “It’s really hard to keep track of makeup work, especially for a student missing a lot of classes.”

Because of the rigor of AP classes, attendance is even more important. Covering all necessary content for the AP exams in May is a difficult task especially because of the tight schedule. AP students simply cannot afford to miss class. Allowing student athletes to leave school early sends a contradicting message to the entire student-body. While Bernards encourages students to take on challenge, BHS is also allowing students to miss academic content because of athletics.

Ms. Cerza also said, “So much learning happens in the moment, class is an interactive experience that can’t be made up by merely completing missed assignments and/or assessments.”

The solution to this problem is easy–rearrange the school schedule leaving an elective or study hall last period. Junior Ally Chronna said, “I know by the end of the day I’m beat, so it would be really nice to have time to get homework done in school. Even though I do not play a sport, it would be beneficial for athletes to have study hall last period so they don’t have to start their work late at night when they get home from a game.”

Understanding that teams have away games and need to leave early, 9th period should be reserved for an elective course or a study hall.