Catch Up On Mid Season Finales

Photo by Shutterstock

As 2014 wrapped up, America’s favorite TV shows have aired their midseason and season finales as well. For all of those that missed winter finales, it isn’t too late to catch up. Tune in, in late January to catch up on the drama that surrounded the holiday season on prime time television.  In Scandal’s midseason finale, creator Shonda Rhimes tied up a few loose ends while unveiling many more enticing cliffhangers.

According to The New York Post, “[Scandal] wasn’t as dramatic a midseason break as we’ve come to expect — a deathless finale was a surprising deviation from the norm — it was an action-packed hour that deserves a refresher course.” The finale episode ends with Andrew having Olivia kidnapped in order to blackmail President Fitz  into going to war with Angola after Andrew and Elizabeth planted a bomb to make it appear as though the United States had been attacked by the African country.

Scandal has achieved much recognition and has won many notable award including: 2014 Peabody Award for Area of Excellence. In addition, Bellamy Young won Critics’ Choice Award for Best Supporting Actress along with Kerry Washington who won NAACP Image Award Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. Scandal will pick back up on on January 29th, 2015.

How to Get Away with Murder finale drops important secrets without hesitation. In the first five minutes, Wes tells the three other students with him that Sam killed Lila. The show sped through these secrets in order to get to this episode’s real drama: Who murdered Sam? The winter finale is all about the night of Sam’s death.

Conner and his accomplices drop a final bag of Sam’s diced remains into a dumpster. For the first time in the show, there’s no “case of the week” to distract from a single spine-chilling day for the law students of Philadelphia University and Professor Annalise Keating. How to Get Away with Murder won the AFI Award for Television Program of the Year and will return with a two-hour finale on February 26th.

The Music City drama–Nashville wraps the first half of its season with drama and of catchy music of course. The winter finale of Nashville wasn’t full of holiday spirit, but instead plenty of dramatic revelations, reunions and a long-awaited wedding festivities–although not necessarily the one Americans were counting on. The episode opens in Memphis with Luke, Will and Deacon all on stage together performing “Ball and Chain.”

Deacon and Scarlett stay in Memphis, to steer clear of the “Layna” pre-wedding publicity. When Scarlett returns from a late night, she finds Deacon passed out on the floor, surrounded by broken glass. Back in Nashville, Rayna is trying on her wedding dress as she contemplates her wedding with Luke then next day. Will is having no luck convincing Layla to go on tour with him. She takes off and ends up face down in the swimming pool.

If her tragedy wasn’t enough, Micah, Gunner’s “son” turns out to no longer be his son, but in fact, his nephew. It is discovered that Micah belongs to Gunner’s deceased brother. Golden Globe Nominee for Best Supporting Actress, Hayden Panettiere is expecting her baby in real-life and on the show. Avery tells Juliette that their current relationship isn’t working for him and he wants things to change. He then proposes to her. As the episode ends, Avery and a very pregnant Juliette tie the knot. The 2012 Critics’ Choice Television Award winner, Nashville returns February 4th, 2015.

It isn’t too late to catch up on The Good Wife that returned on January 4th, Chris’s chance at love on The Bachelor that began on 5th, The Mindy Project on the 6th and both Empire and American Idol on the 7th. Set the DVR ahead of time to record Grey’s Anatomy that will be returning on January 29th for its 11th season and The Blacklist that will be back on February 5th. The Walking Dead will premiere on February 8th.

ABC’s reality show, Survivor will be aired on Feb 25th while “White Collars”, “Blue Collars” and “No Collars” will be competing in a remote location for the grand prize of one million dollars. Lastly, the Netflix original, House of Cards will be releasing it’s Season Three premiere on February 27th.