Girls’ Basketball looking to take a step forward this season

Photo courtesy of Normandy Studio
Senior Sydney Incarnato bringing the ball up last season

Four years ago, The Bernards Girls Basketball program was made up with a bunch of seniors who had all played together since they were young. Due to their chemistry, the basketball program moved to a higher division. As they all graduated and new incoming high schoolers joined the team, many lacked the varsity experience. The young team had to adapt very quickly which resulted in a couple not so great seasons. 

This year, things are different. The Bernards Girls team has moved down into a lower division. In the past, our Group 2 school team was playing other Group 3 teams. When interviewing the head coach, Brett Bisconti, he states that the most challenging games this year will be against “Bridgewater, Livingston, Montgomery, and Voorhees.” These are bigger schools than Bernards but Bernards Girls Basketball has been putting in the hours. 

With many returning varsity players and being in a new lower division, this season is bound to be better than past years. With five seniors, who have been playing together since middle school, and many returning players, the chemistry is incredible. When Coach Biscontti first arrived at Bernards to coach, his first year was getting a feel for things, then Covid occurred causing some ups and downs, and now there can finally be a year without distractions. 

Coach Biscontti feels “…very confident in [the] girls basketball program taking a big step forward this season. [They] have a lot of players returning with experience playing at the varsity level as well as some newcomers to [the] varsity team who gained experience in the offseason playing in a competitive varsity summer league. [He] [they] have the right group of girls to hopefully have a special season.”

When asked if she had any input about how she feels about the new division and team, the captain, Sydney Incarnado stated, “This year is going to be one of the best. Everyone has been working hard and making sure they are putting their best foot forward. I am excited to play in a new division and see how we do.” 

The Girls go head to head against Mount Olive for their first scrimmage on the eighth. To open the season, the Bernards team goes away and challenges Manville on Thursday the fifteenth. Then on the twenty second, the girls have their first real home game against Madison High School. Come and show some support!