D.C. comics’ release of The Batman pleases fans

Shane Rich
D.C. Comics’ trailer of their newest release of, “The Batman”

The wait is finally over.

Matt Reeves newest adoption of the caped crusader, The Batman, was theatrically released on March 4, 2022. The Batman has been previously delayed twice from an initial 2021 release date due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Batman is unlike any comic book or Batman adaptation movie fans have ever seen. A three hour detective-crime thriller led by Robert Pattinson’s portrayal as Bruce Wayne/Batman had fans on the edge of their seats the entire time. 

From the opening scene, Reeves displays the amount of thought and creativity put into each scene. This film does a fantastic job of scaring you, entertaining you in its mystery, energizing you with its action sequences, and fascinating you with the engagement of a dark storyline and the corrupted city of Gotham.

Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of The Batman and Bruce Wayne gave fans a character that was more humane and emotional to reality than we’ve ever seen. Although the character was clearly trained in combat to take on thugs of Gotham and to fight other villains, the empathetic and impassioned Bruce Wayne made the darkness of Gotham City feel so real. There’s a constant hope throughout this film that the city of Gotham will see brighter days.

Zoe Kravitz put on a stellar performance as Selina Kyle/Cat Woman, as she pairs nicely with Pattinson’s Batman as a love interest and detective-partner against The Riddler and Carmine Falcone.

The Riddler, Paul Danno’s supervillain, gave viewers an especially haunting performance. From the opening scene, Danno added a sickening twist to the character that we’ve never seen. In terms of spine-chilling performances of absolute horror and madness, The Riddler is up there with the very best. The audience was instantly filled with anxiety and agitation anytime he appeared on the screen. 

His final scene with Pattinson’s Batman in the Arkham Asylum was one for the ages. As The Riddler slowly begins to lose his mind in awe of his mastermind plan to destroy Gotham City, the terror that The Batman felt was relatable to the audience. The villain won despite being locked up for his previous mass murders.

One of the most compelling characters in the entire movie was Colin Farrel’s role as The Penguin. He was a fantastic side character and the makeup transformation done on him is unbelievable. Playing a partner to lead-Gotham crime boss Carmine Falcone, Farrell was both hilarious and fascinating. The car chase scene that was elevated by Michael Giacchino’s score elevated the scene and made all of it so much more intensifying.

Jeffrey Wright’s Commissioner Gordon was arguably the greatest ever seen, as he took on the role of the lead detective throughout each indulging mystery The Riddler left behind. Wright and Pattinson’s chemistry together throughout the whole film is enticing and impressive, and it’ll be exciting to see what the duo has in-store for the sequel.

A thrilling storyline that explores the politically-corrupted Gotham City crime-thriller through The Batman’s point of view that puts you in the film. Following its March 4th release date, fans and critics alike are loving the newest adaption of The Batman.