New Netflix Film “Don’t Look Up” Gains Attention for Star-Studded Cast

While Netflix is set to release 70 new movies in 2021, there is one that particularly stands out. “Don’t Look Up” is a film about two low-level astronomers that set out on a giant media tour to warn the world of a plant-destructing comet. These scientists launch into a global adventure, yet no one seems to care or believe in what they say. However, they must warn the population as death is predicted to be inevitable. 

This film is written and directed by Adam McKay, who is mainly known for his previous work on “Vice” and his sketch comedy on Saturday Night Live. McKay grew up in Worcester, Massachusetts, so he has some roots in the Boston area, and “Don’t Look Up” filming took place throughout Boston. Specifically in Framingham, Brockton, and Weymouth. When asked how to categorize and compare the film McKay says, “a hard funny satire is what we’re going for… somewhere between the Mike Judge stuff and ‘Wag the Dog’,” to give future viewers some references. 

What is prominent about this film is the cast. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence, costars include: Ariana Grande, Chris Evans, Timothée Chalamet, Cate Blanchett, Matthew Perry, Meryl Streep, and Tyler Perry to name a few. Packed with Academy Award-winning actors, this A-list celebrity film had a budget of around $75 million. 

The bar is set high for this comedic political satire as Netflix projects it to be a worldwide interest. McKay says that this sets a standard “for me and my team in an exciting and motivating way”. Given the striking and diverse cast, there seems to be at least one actor or actress that is familiar to anyone. While a release date has not been announced, “Don’t Look Up” will be coming to Netflix sometime in 2021.