Dictatorship On the Rise in Myanmar

Dictatorship On the Rise in Myanmar

The country of Myanmar, also known Burma, has entered a second era of dictatorship, and the Burmese people are unable to speak up. The military of Myanmar began their dictatorship endeavor in November of 2020 when the National League for Democracy (NLD) party and it’s leaders won 80% of the country’s elections, but military opposition arose in this because of their suspicion of election fraud. However, there was no election fraud.

On February 1st, the Myanmar military performed a coup by detaining the NLD and it’s leaders including Ms. Suu Kyi and President Win Myint. Dictatorship amongst the military is developing as roads continue to be blocked and guarded on the streets of Myanmar, the state broadcaster and international and domestic TV stays off air, internet and phone services remain disrupted, and banks are still being forced to close. 

Not only are the Burmese citizens terrified of entering one era of dictatorship, but fearful of repeating the era a second time.

For sixty years, the country of Myanmar was under military rule until the country changed to democratic rule in 2011. Myanmar’s people had suffered the hardship of tyranny from its military for far too long and the country’s change to democratic rule was a revelation. Now the Military is forcing the country to be ruled under facism once again and the world is unaware. Leaders around the globe who are aware are not taking much action. U.S. president Joe Biden has threatened to impose sanctions on Myanmar, but that is all he has done. 

The Military has been silencing the people of Myanmar, arresting those who speak up about the coup, and detaining it’s leaders seizing power. So what can we do about it? First, we must spread awareness about the silencing and arresting of innocent Burmese citizens and Myanmar’s return to dictatorship. Furthermore, by texting PAKJMG to the number 50409, your representatives will be informed that you are concerned about what is happening in Myanmar. This could allow more recognition of Myanmar’s state of affairs among powers of authority who can assist the Burmese crisis.