Dustin Pedroia Retires from Baseball

Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia has announced his retirement from baseball after 14 seasons. The Three-Time World Series Champion played 1,512 games with Boston from 2006-2019, stepping away from the game of baseball.

With his future up in the air, Pedroia had suffered a setback to his knee injury that put his availability for Spring Training in doubt. This setback followed after he underwent his fifth knee surgery, in August 2019. Reports followed that Pedroia would question his future in baseball, as he did not play in the shortened 2020 MLB season.

Although Pedroia will go down as a legend in Boston, injuries were a recurrent part of his late career. Playing just three games in 2018, Pedroia missed Boston’s World Series title with injuries. Missing a majority of time, the second baseman totaled only 105 games in 2017, 93 games in 2015, and most recently just 6 games in 2019 to end his career.

Dustin Pedroia is most noted for his excellent play for Boston’s World Series Championship Teams in 2007 and 2013.

Along with the two World Series titles, Pedroia won American League Rookie of the Year in 2007, AL MVP and a Silver Slugger award winner in 2008, along with four All-Star selections, and four Gold Gloves. In his 2008 MVP campaign, Pedroia totaled 17 HR, 83 RBI, and 20 stolen bases. 

Even though injuries plagued a majority of his late-career, Dustin Pedroia will go down as a Boston Red Sox legend. With much success in October, Pedroia joins a long list of Red Sox greats with postseason success (seven playoff appearances). A skill set unlike most, Pedroia’s career will be amongst the all-time greats in Boston, and will be remembered by fans for his dominant play within his era. 

Other Notable Statistics:

• Led Boston in WAR in four seasons (2008, 2012-2014)
  • .326/.376/.493 slash line in 2008 (MVP Season)
  • Career slash line: .299/.365/.439
  • 140 HR (career total)
  • 725 RBI (career total)
  • 138 Steals (career total)
  • Led MLB in runs 118 (2008), 115 (2009)
  • Led MLB in runs, hits, and doubles (2008)