Football team hangs up their helmets

William Clarkin '20, Staff Writer

Now at the end of the 2017 football season, the football team has a record of 1-7. Lead by head coach Jon Simoneau, the team took multiple losses but came out strong against New Providence High with a final score of 34-14. With full view of the season, the student body is quite proud of all their classmates and friends who walked out onto the field. This has been a hard transition year and the team hopes to see strong bold newcomers in years to follow.

The varsity team took the field this year dressed in red and white and put up a fight. The blood, sweat, and tears shed on the field reveal the true heart of the mountaineer. Through an arduous losing period the team went head to head with Shabazz (7-35), Abraham Clark (17-34),  Johnson (7-38), and Hillside (0-42). In the first game of the season against Shabazz, the team suffered a crushing loss – a difficult awakening to the season. The losing streak continued with a loss to Abraham Clark. After two games and two losses into the season the team took another loss to Johnson.

Athletic director, Mr. Hoppe commented on the football team this year: “We are young and inexperienced and it shows, right now the team is in a one step forward and two steps back situation. The football team has been on a high winning streak for the past eight years but this is a losing season, the skill level is there and we need to keep working hard. There is difficulty holding the talent year after year, we are just in a difficult conference in a difficult year.”  The team is supported by the student body and faculty and the pride for the team is shown through our Vice Principal’s powerful and prideful words.

The football team broke out with a triumph over New Providence (34-14). The oustanding win was seen as an indicator for a pick up in the season but in the week following BHS lost to Delaware Valley (9-17). The boys refused to go down without a fight. With an outstanding win, the team showed their real power and rage as mountaineers. The outstanding performance in these two games was then overturned by Bound Brook who defeated Bernards (14-37).

As the season began to close, boys varsity took a loss to Voorhees (0,35). Strong efforts and pride was poured into the final game by every player. “We are really young and it has been a giant learning curve with the schedule we play but we never quit and we battle to the end in every game and that says a lot. These guys have done nothing but fight, we have been persistent and haven’t quit.” The boys left everything on the field and will hopefully come back next year booming with pride because they gave it their all.