Forget Chromebooks, iPads are the way to go!

Electronic devices are pivotal in the learning experience of today’s members of BHS, and Chromebooks should be replaced by the Ipad Pro as the sole learning device. This change should be immanent, it would be for the better, as electronics are critical for students. Electronic devices are a bare essential for students here at BHS. However, it’s important to acknowledge the status quote is a very viable option. Additionally, Macbooks are very capable electronic devices that would be a great option for students to use. Ipads are the less talked about option but the Ipad is portable and has impeccable battery life. Ipads could make student life much easier. There is one option that reigns dominant over the rest, and it’s important to know the facts so that students have access to the best technology available; this technology is the Ipad Pro.

Different electronic systems are built to hold different programs, and Apple products have the best ones. The Macbook and Ipad each support their own programs like Imovie, Ibooks, Numbers, Grapher, Pages, as well as their own easy to use Calendar. Numbers and Grapher can help students understand math in an simple way, Pages is an easier way to write papers, Ibooks has a nice book selection, and Imovie can help students who aim to study film, or for a project. This shuns a light on Chromebooks that shows some of their limits. For instance, Chromebooks can’t use any of the Apple programs. On the other hand, it is easier to download Adobe Flash on a Chromebook, but one still can on a Macbook or Ipad. In addition, student and computer enthusiast Paul Wendling explains that “The Chromebook [web] store has stuff in it that’s more for fun, the app store is more for productivity, having more programs that are for work and less for play.” This is clearly true, the app store has apps such as Microsoft powerpoint. This app can help students when tasked with creating a presentation for the class. While the google web store does have it’s own selection, most of the apps are also websites that can be run across all devices. After processing this knowledge, one may ponder why an Ipad makes for a better product than a Macbook. Despite the products being from the same company, the touch screen interface of the Ipad makes using these programs easier to use. Essentially, Apple products have much more than Chromebooks as far as programs go, and make a greater learning tool in this regard; And out of the Apple products, Ipads are the best.

In an ideal world, the school would have a numerous number of plugs and charging stations, but the reality is that students may be responsible for charging their devices on their own times. As a student, no one would want their device with all their work to die midday. Assuming all kids charge their Ipad Pros and don’t have access to charging during school, the Ipad Pro has the best battery life to last a school day. Apple states on its website it’s Ipad Pro can last up to ten straight hours without dying, this was tested by the news website techradar by streaming ten straight hours of movies. So indeed the Ipad Pro can last a full school day without dying. Apple also claims that their Macbook Pros also last ten hours, but that can’t be trusted. An inside look tells us that the newest Macbook batteries are smaller than they used to be, and possibly less powerful. Therefore, the Ipad Pro has better battery than the Macbook Pro. Google also claims their computers last ten hours, but after testing this by surfing the web on wifi non stop, the computer fell short at eight hours twenty three seconds. So in the end, the Ipad Pro has the best battery life.

It’s no secret Apple has a knack for overpricing their computers and still getting a wealth of loyal and devoted followers, and after just a spec of research it’s easy to conclude that Apple followers are looking at the wrong Apple product. The Apple website currently lists their Macbook Pros from 1,300 dollars to 1,800 dollars, depending on size. Chromebooks cost nothing, as the school already has a plentiful supply of the product. Chromebooks do make many students content, one could argue their needs no change. According to fellow student and PC connoisseur Cary Berg, “Chromebooks were built for school and students to use.” But consider the above, Chromebooks are clearly the inferior products and an upgrade would be highly beneficial. When talking about computers, it would absolutely be correct Macbooks are overpriced. Luckily, there is another Apple product that has all the same capabilities of a Macbook and then some, that’s cheaper and more portable. This product is the Ipad Pro, the ten and a half square inch screen Ipads cost 650 dollars according to Apple on their website, half the price of the computer for a better product. When looking for an affordable upgrade, Ipads are the way to go.  

In the final analyses, the Ipad Pro proves to be the premium school use device that should make its way into the Somerset Hills School District. The Ipad Pro may not have been built for school, but bluntly it’s better than any other technology like it in every regard. The Ipad Pro is remarkably built, it’s like Steve Jobs said, “Design is not how it looks and feels like, design is how it works.”