Beauty and the Beast Review

Disney’s 2017 remake of the original 1991 “Beauty and the Beast” animated film certainly did not disappoint. People of all ages have been waiting to see the new film. The movie itself is a pretty direct adaptation of the 1991 film, but this time with a modern twist.

Belle, the protagonist, is a young woman imprisoned by the simple-mindedness of her small village. Her mindset differs than many other individuals in the town, and she strives for more than what her town has to offer. In a nearby castle, a former prince has been cast into a beast, and will only return back to his human lifeform if he is able to find true love. Belle’s father, Maurice, is captured by the beast, and Belle trades her freedom for his. Eventually, after spending ample time with the beast Belle is able to break the spell, the beast turns back into his lifeform, and the two live happily ever after.

The storyline in the new 2017 film definitely dives deeper into the storyline of Belle’s parents more than the 1991 version did.

The film has a star-studded cast including Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, Ewan McGregor, Ian McKellen, Josh Gad, Emma Thompson, Stanley Tucci, and Kevin Kline. Some critics say that the modern movie has not really updated much, however it is still worth seeing because of such a great cast. Emma Watson and Dan Stevens do a magnificent job selling the romance at the center of the story, which is not the easiest thing to do.

The French Romantic has evolved since the animated 1991 film, and the songs incorporated definitely give the movie special charm. The beast even has his moment to sing a song. Directed by Oscar-winner Bill Condon, this film is a great addition to the Disney stable.