Shooters attack Cameo nightclub

Regan Chatwin, Staff Writer

Devastation struck around 1AM on Sunday, March 28, 2017, in Cincinnati, Ohio when several unidentified shooters entered a local nightclub, Cameo, and left 16 injured and one dead. It had been an ongoing debate whether or not this attack could be a terrorist threat, but the authorities are working tirelessly to figure out why the men targeted this specific location.

A local Cincinnati official, Chief Eliot Isaac, has stated that “several local men got into some type of dispute inside the bar and it escalated into shots being fired from several individuals.” The men escaped the nightclub after taking various shots at people. Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac told a news conference that “one of the suspects, 27-year-old Cornell Beckley, was arrested Thursday. The second suspect, 29-year-old Deondre Davis, remained in critical condition at a local hospital after being wounded in the gun battle at the Cameo nightclub early Sunday.”

There was a total of 16 people that sustained gunshot injuries, with one left dead, 27 year-old Obryan Spikes. Other witnesses say that there were also various injuries sustained trying to leave the club after hearing the shots.

As of Friday, April 7, Cincinnati authorities have found that this is not a direct terrorist attack, but it is still very frightening that mass shootings can be performed by any everyday person. These men have not been charged with anything as of today, but the authorities have kept these two men in custody since the shooting and plan to take it to court. The father of Deondre Davis claimed his son is a “nice, well-rounded kid who always smiles.” This goes to show what people can do when they get into fights.

BHS Sophomore Cece Gunning believes that “this continues to scare the world because attacks like these have almost become a regular thing in some parts of the country.” She believes shootings are becoming more prevalent in the country and that the laws facing guns need to be stricter to stop the terror. Many of the students at BHS have become concerned with the amount of shooting that are becoming more and more frequent around the world. If something isn’t done, it is only a matter of time until the next one occurs.