Spring sports have great success down south

On Wednesday, March 15th, the Bernards boys lacrosse and baseball teams departed for Orlando, Florida for their annual spring training trip. The trip allows student athletes to scrimmage against teams from all over the country. It serves as a great team bonding experience, all while getting practice before the season actually begins at home.

Coach Brothers, head coach of the Bernards lacrosse team said that the Florida trip is a “great experience and it is very nice to get away from the cold and snow” and that “it’s very nice to practice on full field rather than just half of the turf field here at home.” Coach Brothers also said how “the kids get real tight and bond through team meals, rooming assignments, and just overall spending five days together brings everyone together.”

The lacrosse team had great success over the long weekend in Florida, and ended 2-0. In addition, they had multiple practices where coach said there was “a great team effort and success.” Senior Curt Gouldin said, “I love going to Florida every year to practice as a team and get ready for the upcoming season.” He also said “it really gets the team to bond on and off the field, and it’s an experience you really can’t get anywhere else.”

Baseball also had a very successful Florida trip, finishing 2-2. Coach Falzarano said that “the trip is great for the team because we are able to actually play on a field, here at home there is minimal playing you can do in the gym.” He added how “we get live pitching when others don’t have this opportunity and that certainly benefits us.” The team gets in practice that they can’t get done at home, and the trip also creates a great atmosphere for the players that allows them to come together as a team and bond.

Senior Griffin DeMarrais said that his “favorite part of the trip was spending time with all my teammates and really bonding with good weather and getting away from the snow.” Additionally, he said “the trip lets us get on a field and play which we can’t do in New Jersey because of the snow.”

The boys lacrosse and baseball annual Florida trip proved to be a success for both teams once again. These two teams are definitely two to watch and look out for during the 2017 spring season.