SpaceX launches moon travel program

SpaceX launches moon travel program

SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk announced that the company plans to launch two paying customers on a weeklong trip around the moon before the end of 2018.

Musk’s goal in this mission is to venture further into space than humans ever have. The last mission took place in 1969, with the help of NASA aboard Apollo 11, and another mission after 49 years will be very exciting for all astronomers.

SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft. The company was founded in 2002 to revolutionize space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets, beginning with research about the moon.

Musk said SpaceX was approached by “two private individuals” who know one another, but whom he did not identify at a recent teleconference with journalists.

SpaceX is an aeroship company. With the help of Elon Musk, these SpaceX aircrafts will safely launch people to the moon, giving them time to explore the moon, and even figure ways for life on this natural satellite.

He has been known to keep only a few books on the shelf behind his desk at the SpaceX factory floor in Hawthorne, California. Most of them are basic books on rocket design. His interest in rocket design sparked his interest in supporting another mission.

Bernards High School students were asked about the mission. Freshman Brady Callahan said, “That’s really cool. Elon Musk is going to make a lot more money now than ever before. If I had the chance, I would take part in the mission. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. After reaching the moon, I would want to write my name and address. Maybe another person would find my mark, and then find me.” When asked if he thinks there is life on the moon he replied, “No, but maybe one day there will be.”

Freshman Jenna McHale said, “Would it be worth it to go for a week? How much could they take away from the mission only spending a week there? Is it worth the millions of dollars that will be spent? I’m not sure if I would go. It is cool, but I would be worried about the consequences of the mission failing. What if I was left without water, food, or resources? What is the spaceship crashed, or malfunctioned? I could die, and I’m not sure if I would want that to be the reason.” There are certainly different opinions about be able to go on this mission, some for it and some against it.