First Coffee With A Cop Held At BHS

Jack Topping, News Editor

On January 11, 2017, the Veterans Outreach Club, in conjunction with the BHS Administration and the Bernardsville Police Department, held the first “Coffee with a Cop” breakfast in the Cafeteria. With a generous donation of four dozen donuts from “Duck Donuts” owned by the Neigel family in Green Brook, Officers from not only the Bernardsville Police Department, but the Bedminster, Far Hills, and Peapack/Gladstone Departments attended to engage in positive community outreach with BHS students. Starting at 7:45 AM and ending promptly at 9:45, students from all grades enjoyed Duck Donuts, but coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and bagels courtesy of the Bernardsville Police Department. While some students wanted to sleep in for the delayed opening day, many students who saw an appreciation for our local law enforcement officers came out to support them with this breakfast.

BHS Principal Mr. Neigel, who attended the breakfast on the delayed opening morning, said “Coffee with a Cop was a great opportunity for our students to get to know the local police officers from Bernardsville and surrounding towns.  We are lucky to have such a professional and approachable group of cops in town and it was nice to see some of our students come in early to get to know them a little bit. I think it was a tremendous success and that we should definitely try to do it again soon.”

Senior RJ Goldberg said, “Getting to talk to the people who defend our community is not something we can often do in this type of setting. Coffee with a Cop is a great program and I hope it continues year after year after us Seniors graduate in June.”