Golden Globe Recap

Jimmy Fallon hosted the 74th annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, California on Sunday, January 8. The Tonight Show host began Hollywood’s most celebrated night with a La La Land themed opening number. In his opening monologue, he surprisingly kept controversial political comments to a minimum.

Contrary to Fallon, actress Meryl Streep gave an emotional speech which called out President-elect Donald J. Trump, without directly mentioning his name. Streep is a Bernards High School alumni and graduated in 1967. Rarely does Streep ever mention her hometome and roots, but during her acceptance speech after receiving the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award, she spoke of how she comes from the “public schools of New Jersey.” Maisy Reddi, a senior at Bernards High School, said that Meryl Streep’s speech “was very impactful and inspiring because she used her speech to expose the harsh realities our country is currently facing.”

History was made Sunday night as La La Land won seven awards, setting a record for most Golden Globes received for a single film. The jazz-filled film dominated the Golden Globes, winning every award it was nominated for including best actress in a musical or comedy and best musical or comedy. Damien Chazelle, the director of La La Land, said how he is “in a daze now officially,” regarding the night.

The fashion at the Golden Globes is also worthy to note. Senior Ciara Guglietta said that she “loves watching the Golden Globes every year” because she “loves to see what amazing dresses celebrities will end up wearing on the red carpet.”

Other notable Golden Globe wins include the Best Actress in a TV drama award which went to Claire Foy, who plays Queen Elizabeth II in Netflix’s The Crown. The Crown also won best dramatic series. Surprisingly, Isabelle Huppert won best actress in a drama for the French film “Elle,” beating favored Natalie Portman. Another notable award went to Tracee Ellis Ross, who accepted the award for Best Television Actress for her role in the ABC series black-ish. Ross was the first African American woman to win this award since Debbie Allen won for Fame in 1983.