Singers Performing on New Year’s Eve 2016

Watching the ball drop on New Year’s Eve is something that has become a tradition for many students at BHS. Getting together with family and friends and celebrating the New Year is something that is celebrated all around the world. This New Year’s, many singers perform their songs before the ball drops. Major news channels such as NBC, CNN, and ABC will be featuring a lineup of many people’s favorite performers this year, some starting as early as 8 PM during last year’s celebrations.  Performances take place in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and New York City. Given Bernardsville’s close proximity to New York City and Times Square, it is easy to watch these performances live, but it helps to arrive to Times Square early.

Popular programs include Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest, playing on ABC, New Year’s Eve Live hosted by Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin, and broadcasted on CNN, New Year’s Eve With Carson Daly (NBC).

Junior Katy Romano said, “For me, New Years Eve is one of the best nights of the year. I like to watch the ball drop on NBC, and there is something so exciting about ringing in a brand new year.” Junior Megan Mlynarski said, “I liked watching Charlie Puth and Wiz Khalifa last year”.

For many, Ryan Seacrest is a favorite host. According to Nielsen national estimates, 35 million viewers watched the coverage on ABC in the minute before the ball drop last year, the time when the majority of people tune in.

According to Billboard, Alessia Cara, G-Eazy, Martin Garrix, John Legend, Mike Posner, Bebe Rexha, Hailee Steinfeld and Flo Rida are all set to play on New Year’s Eve. Over on the West Coast, Fergie, Fifth Harmony, Ty Dolla $ign, Niall Horan, Lukas Graham, Shawn Mendes and Emile Sandé will all be performing. Mariah Carey, DNCE, country singer Thomas Rhett, and Gloria Estefan, star of Broadway’s musical ON YOUR FEET! are also performing, but in Times Square, according to Dick Clark Productions.

The Times Square Ball app is also available for download in order to view the live stream of the ball drop in Times Square, ad-free.

Performances last year were by 5 Seconds of Summer, Luke Bryan, Jimmy Buffett, Alessia Cara, DNCE, Fall Out Boy, Ellie Goulding, Andy Grammer, Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth, Elle King, Tove Lo, Demi Lovato, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, OMI, One Direction, Pentatonix, Rachel Platten, Nathan Sykes, Carrie Underwood and WALK THE MOON. Also, Taylor Swift released her music video for her hit song “Out of the Woods” on “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” last year.

This New Year’s get together with your friends and watch the ball drop to celebrate the start of a new year and a new you!