New Faculty comes to BHS

New Faculty comes to BHS

With the start of every school year at BHS, there comes a wave of new staff. With becoming associated with our school, new teachers are given the opportunity to get to know how our school does things, and the unique environment here at BHS. Recently we interviewed a few of the new teachers here at Bernards High, who have introduced themselves and spoken about their time here so far.

Mr. Ryan Nelson

Mr. Nelson has kicked off his BHS career as a teacher of study skills as well as science, in the forms of physics and biology. “It has been a wonderful experience working at Bernards High so far,” he says. Of what he did before coming to work here, he says, “Last year I was in graduate school at Drew University. I also did student teaching at Voorhees High School in Glen Gardner.” Along with the rest of the staff, he has enjoyed working in a place such as Bernards High School. “All of the students and staff have been very friendly and welcoming,” he continues. “[Bernards High] is an amazing place to work.”

Madame Nicole Tartaglia

Madame Tartaglia has started off her time here as a foreign language teacher, particularly of French, with classes French 1, French 3A, French 4A and French 4H already under her belt. Of the reason why she chose to work here at Bernards, Mme. Tartaglia says in her own words that “[she has] had several careers, including government and in the music industry,” but, “teaching is by far the most challenging and rewarding of all. In all these iterations of professional life, French has opened more doors than any other skill I’ve acquired. Knowing this, and sharing this skill and all its benefits is a blessing and a pleasure.” She studied at the University of Scranton and Seton Hall University, obtaining a BA in International Language-Business from the former and an MA in Diplomacy and National Relations from the latter. Before coming here, she spent “six years teaching French at Union High School in Union Twp., New Jersey.” Of our student body, Mme. Tartaglia says that, “BHS has an unbelievable atmosphere. The students are fun but serious, goal oriented and still clearly know how to relax and enjoy [themselves].” Of her fellow staff, she adds, “The faculty and staff the same. People have been helpful and friendly, and it is so clearly a place where others wish you well and want to see you succeed.”

Mr. Michael Outeiral

Mr. Outeiral teaches beginner ESL here at Bernards, which is a class especially for those who are working towards making English their second language. Originally an ESL student himself when he went to school, he says, “Despite being born here, I wasn’t taught English until I came into the school system in Kearny, New Jersey as a child,” and that for him, “This is sort of a way of giving back.” Prior to joining the BHS family, Mr. Outeiral says that he attended New Jersey City University. “In fact, I’m attending NJCU again for grad school,” he adds. His former job was “in electronic discovery, collecting and gathering information such as e-mails, phone data, etc. for court cases related to [the] UBS bank.” So far, he has taken well to the atmosphere of Bernards High. “I thoroughly love it. There seems to be a great sense of community, [and the] staff and students are warm and welcoming.”

Thank you to all the teachers who responded to our emails and questions, and the one(s) that did not. Welcome to the BHS faculty, and we wish you a prosperous career at our school.