Savvy Shields Takes The Crown

For those who do not know Savvy Shields, she has claimed the title of the 2017 Miss America. The 21 year old represented her home state of Arkansas, and danced her way into the judges hearts with her jazz routine. This outstanding routine won her the crown and the talent portion of the competition.  

During the question and answer portion of the competition, Shields was asked about her thoughts on democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton. As reported by USA Today, Shields stated “If you’re trying to be leader of the free world, everything you say and do matters and all of your actions are held to a higher standard… Both of the contestants have done a good job, but they also need to watch what they’re doing.”  Shield’s question was an impressive yet controversial one. Stating her opinion on the political race was a risky move- one that could have offended the judges, thereby losing her chance of the crown. However because Savvy kept her opinions short and respective she earned praise from the judges for taking such a bold move.

Savvy also spoke of her return to the University of Arkansas. She will be entering her final year in hopes of completing a major in art and minor in business. Shields also spoke of her hopes for her future after she graduates, as reported by USA Today. Shields said, “I want to hopefully work in a museum and teach at a collegiate level.” Savvy has set goals for her future and has proven that she is much more than just Miss America.

After being crowned she thanked her family, her fans, and her country for her win. Concluding the event, Shields was congratulated by judges Mark Cuban, Gabby Douglas and Ciara. Cuban and Ciara both spoke of how how impressive it is that Savvy is a role model to young girls and how inspiring it was to watch her encounter a moment like this.

Savvy is known for her great positive personality and her optimistic outlook on life. She spends her free time volunteering for the Reading Is Fundamental organization and the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.

Savvy is owning her title as Miss America and proving that she is much more than her crown.

29512351202_288c89db10_n   imgres-1