Apple Unveils the Newest Series of iPhones

On September 7th, Apple revealed their upcoming new series of smartphones, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Already they have sold out of copies of the iPhone 7 Plus and the 7 in Jet Black. According to CNBC, Apple spokeswoman Trudy Miller said, “We sincerely appreciate our customers’ patience as we work hard to get the new iPhone into the hands of everyone who wants one as quickly as possible.” Surprisingly, the leaks of the new features set to be introduced in the new phones were almost completely correct. On the outside, the phones look very similar to the last generation, but have significant upgrades on the inside.

Not only has Apple upgraded the display of the phone, but they have also included dual speakers, a first for the iPhones. Although, these upgrades come at a cost. The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have removed the headphone jack from the device. The purpose of this is to add a more responsive and touch sensitive home button, and to help push the idea of wireless earbuds. Phil Schiller, the presenter of the latest iPhone 7 launch event, spoke about a “vision of how audio can be”, while describing their new wireless earbuds, the Air Pods.

However, ambitious the goal to remove the classic 3.5mm headphone jack was, Apple still pulled through with other important features, such as its resistance to dust and water, being able to be submerged under one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. This would make the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to be the most durable iPhones ever released. The new iPhones will also now come in two new colors, Black and Jet Black (this is only available in 128 and 256 gigabyte options), while removing the Space Gray that came with the iPhone 6 and 6s.

The camera on both the 7 and the 7 Plus will also be drastically improved. The iPhone 7 features a 12 megapixel camera with the ability to record at 4K resolution while also improving the light sensitivity, which allows much greater pictures in a darker setting. The 7 Plus will feature a dual camera, which allows pictures to be taken at different distances at a much greater quality.

Finally, The iPhone 7 will also feature better processing speed. Apple confirmed that the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will be the first iPhones to include a quad core processor, which Apple states will increase CPU performance by 40% and increase graphic performance by 50%, according to Forbes.
The iPhone 7 will start at $649 and the 7 Plus at $769, which will both be released on September 16, 2016.