Girls’ Lacrosse off to strong start

Senior Tegan Warren passes the ball
Normandy Studio
Senior Tegan Warren passes the ball

The girls’ lacrosse team opened their regular season schedule with a big 13-3 victory against Verona High School on the road. Junior Paige Petty continued her goal-scoring ways in the victory, scoring five and assisting another goal. Senior Tegan Warren also had a strong game, scoring two goals and assisting on three more.

After the opening day victory away from home, the team went home a three-game homestand in the beginning of April. They opened the homestand on April 1 with a 17-9 victory over Mendham. , Bernards’ high-flying offense led by Petty overpowered Mendham’s strong defense. In the winning effort, Petty scored eight times, bringing her tally over the first two games to a massive 13 goals.

Sophomores Elise Cohan and Laurel McHale both scored hat tricks in the winning effort, and Cohan added four assists onto her three goals.

On April 7, the team played their third regular season game against Pingry, and they recorded their third win in a game that ended by a score of 14-5. McHale scored five goals for Bernards, her highest scoring game in the first three games of the season. Although Pingry’s defense did what they could to contain the dynamic duo of Petty and Warren, they both recorded hat tricks in the winning effort.

After the team’s game on April 9 against Voorhees was postponed, the team played a home game on April 12 against Phillipsburg, and they won the game by a score of 20-5.

Petty matched her season-high for goals in a game with another eight-goal performance, and Warren, Cohan, Lily Simon and sophomore Annie Gillis all added at least two goals and two assists.

Junior Hanna Christian also scored one goal and added two assists in the win. Petty didn’t simply cherry-pick in order to get the ball in a scoring position; she did the hard work and won five ground balls to win possession for her team.

Two days after the Phillipsburg win, the team lost a heartbreaker to rivals Ridge by a score of 14-13. In the loss, Petty scored six goals, Gillis scored a hat trick, Cohan scored twice, and McHale and Warren each added one goal.

At print, the team played games on April 18, 19 and 21 against Mount St. Mary’s, Montgomery and Watchung Hills. The games on April 18 and 19 are both away, but they return home for the April 21 matchup with Watchung Hills.

The final regular season home game for the team will be played on April 28 against Somerville.