Softball poised to succeed during 2016 season

Junior Caroline Baratta rounds third base and heads home
LifeTouch

Finishing the 2015 season at 18-6, the Bernards Mountaineer Softball team hopes to have another successful season. Julianne Paris and Emily Dean, along with other seniors, anticipate to have a fortunate senior year. Hoping to go out with a bang, Paris hopes to add to her 26 career hits and 22 RBIs. Alongside Emily with her career 39 hits and 27 RBIs (runs batted in), she is viewed to exceed all expectations this year. When we caught up with Emily regarding the season so far, she was excited to tell us that “I’m really looking forward to facing the challenges this season brings. We lost a lot of starters and we’re starting off the season with a really tough injury, but I’m excited to see how well this team is able to fight through it all.”

The team’s first scrimmage will take place on March 16. With the first game quickly approaching, the coaches and players are starting to prepare. In the few scrimmages before the first game, the team is eager to fix all errors, situations and finalize the batting order before the first game. Along with trying to fix things on the field, the team is also trying very hard to gain confidence off the field.

“I’m looking to improve upon overall team confidence, she said in an interview. “We have a lot to be proud of, but we also have a lot to prove.”  Emily went on to tell us that one of the biggest challenges they face is defeating Pingry. “It’s always nice to beat Pingry,” she said.

One of the best parts of being on the Bernards Softball team is the annual Disney Trip. The team goes down every year to use their abilities to figure out what they need to do that season. They train, prepare, and use this valuable time to do important “team bonding”. Dean was excited to tell us that, “My favorite part of the Florida trip is definitely team bonding. It’s where we are able to establish ourselves as a team and get to know each other both as teammates and as friends.” Team bonding is one of the most important things to do as a team. It establishes trust, friendship, and family. No team is complete without it.

In addition to the seniors, there are several underclassmen that are expected to make significant contributions to the team. Sophomore Emma Bowerbank with her .417 batting average and 6 stolen bases, Sammi Re with her five doubles and 37 career hits, and Carolina Baratta with her 44 runs scored and four home runs. Though rarely talked about, they are a crucial part of the team. They help lead the team to victory with a fantastic defense and great work at the plate. Not only thinking smart at bat, they also excel at any position they are placed in.

The team’s first game is April 1st, at 4:15 in Delaware Valley. Before the first game, the players are excited to begin the 2016 season. “I’m really looking forward to facing the challenges this season brings. We lost a lot of starters and we’re starting off the season with a really tough injury, but I’m excited to see how well this team is able to fight through it all.” Emily concluded. With these stats and incredible teamwork the 2016 season will surely be a success.