Swim Team dives into new season with opening night win

Isabella Volk
The team huddles up before a meet

This year marks the 28th season on the Bernardsville high school swim team. With the return of head coach Ed Tsuzuki hopes are high to break more records this season. So far this season the swim team has had two meets, Belvidere and the Cougar Relays. Both the boys team and the girls team started their seasons off with multiple wins against belvedere. Their wins followed through and continued during the Cougar Relays the girls broke the 200 breaststroke relays record ( Kristen Sardis, Zoe Bender, Caroline Van Dijk and Jessica Snyder) with a time of 2:21:74 a whole seven seconds faster than the 2007 record. The boys team also blew some records out of the park such as the 200 fly relay (Julian Baxter, Ali Maffei, Mallika Negi and Ben Baxter) with an amazing time of 1:47:17. Many other records (personal and official) have already been broken within the first two meets making the outlook on the rest of the season a good one. With the season off to a great start the Bernardsville Swim team hopes that they can place in the county championships and the conference championships while still keeping the atmosphere of the team as a family.

“We train hard but we have fun while doing it. We are all very closely knit, just like a family” – said Caroline Van Dijk, a Junior and a third year participant in Bernards swimming.

With the team already breaking records the excitement for the next meets is blooming. The loss of seniors this year was significant but the juniors are certainly stepping up to the plate of filling in the spots. Such as the returning Megan Sardis and the rising Caroline Van Dijk. Many of these athletes are happy to be back in the pool and it is showing off. In previous years the swim team worked with the special olympic athletes in the pool and hope to do so this year with their local team to support the surrounding community. The pressure is building up on the athletes to not let their coaches down but with the current success of the season so far it looks like the rest  will be smooth sailing and full of fun. The team is not as big as previous years but just because their size is a little smaller doesn’t mean their goals are any less than before. With the amazing coaching of Mr.Tsuzuki the team has no worries for this year.