Winter Sports Season Preview: Boys’ Basketball

Senior Michael Isselin (left) drives to the basket
LifeTouch

This season the basketball team has had a lot of students come up from playing JV or even on the freshman last year. This is due to a lot of very talented seniors graduating and not being able to play for the team anymore. The team has just finished playing in their fall league and the team has acquired some much needed chemistry that they lacked due to the roster changes.

Alex Kotwick, who has started some games at shooting guard, had only good things to say about the upcoming season. “A lot of people have stepped up,” he said. “This can easily be a good season. The way I see it is if the team plays its best every game we can definitely come out with a solid record and do well in the playoffs”. Last year Kotwick started off playing for the freshman team and after a short while got called up to play JV and is now playing for varsity.

This year, senior Zach Walljasper is expected to play very well. Kotwick said “He is not a very loud person but he always seems to have a great presence in the locker room and also has the capability to have a breakout season. All in all, he is a great player and I have the utmost respect for him.” The first game of the season is against Manville on december 18th. The Bernards Basketball team can easily shape up to be a winning team if all of the new players who moved up to varsity play their best.

The season looks very promising and even though the team lost many players that they had last season who performed very well, they can still play well. Overall, they have been working very hard and seem to be training very hard. The team has many different talented people this year.

Cubby Schuller, another rising sophomore, said “Our team is looking very good we have been working hard and this season could be our year.” This year the offense is going to be running a 5 spread. What this means is that all players will be starting around the three point line. This is different and it is incredible how the team has been able to play with this new system and prosper. In conclusion, the team has been adjusting to many new things but it  seems as though this will be a good season.