BHS Baseball Wins Back-to-Back Sectional Championship

Mr. Pair
The team celebrates after the final out.
Mr. Pair

On Friday, May 29th, the baseball team played in the sectional championship for the second year in a row. Before that the boys previously won the sectional championship in 1989,1995, and 2002. Playing number one seeded Hackettstown Friday, the boys went in with apprehension but “liked the chances” according to Junior first baseman Mike Hoppe. Senior Pitchers Kyle Oliver and Luke Bowerbank limited Hackettstown to two hits. Bernards took a 3-0 lead in the fifth inning before Hackettstown finally got on the board. Junior Catcher Jake Cawley made an exciting play at the plate early to keep the game scoreless and allowing BHS to put the first points on the scoreboard.

Along with the many team accomplishments that were achieved this season, senior Luke Bowerbank set the all time Bernards baseball hits record. He passed Matt Cozin’s mark of 116 hits. The record had stood untouched since 1999.

On June 3rd, the baseball team played Lakeland in the group semi-final. In a close, hard fought game, the two teams found themselves tied 4-4 in the the bottom of the seventh. Senior Luke Bowerbank was up at bat and had all the pressure on his shoulders. While sending the team into the group finals, Luke bowerbank rounded the bases after hitting a walk off solo home run.

The team poses with the trophy after winning their second consecutive sectionals championship.
Mr. Pair

The baseball team has found great success in the past four years. The team has gone 90-27 (769), and has won many championships: three division championships, two sectional titles, and one Somerset County championship. Deep runs into the county and state tournaments have also been a common themes the past four years. The team will hope to continue to be a top baseball program in the state.

The team unfortunately lost in the group final to Governor Livingston. The team fell behind early and wasn’t able to recover. Going down 7-0, Bernards put up four unanswered runs, but it wasn’t enough to win the game. Coach Falzarano summed up the season, “It was a tough loss, but [Governor Livingston] were at their best, we weren’t. We’ve got a lot of work to do next year to have an equally successful season.”