Spring Sports Preview: Boys’ Lacrosse

Lacrosse boys get together to go over plays.
Kyle Shalit

The BHS lacrosse team looks stronger than ever and begins their season against perennial powerhouse Chatham. This challenge will be the first of many in a schedule that is loaded with large and talented teams. The focus of the season is not to have the best record, but instead to be ready for the state tournament. Nonetheless, the team looks to improve on last year’s 13-7 season that resulted in a sectional semifinal loss. This seasons goals include a division title, a county semifinal appearance, and a victory in the sectional semifinal against Mountain Lakes, a team that has given BHS trouble in the past.

Coach Brothers does not have to deal with a lack of leadership, for the team has five captains: David Leskauskas,  Matthew Bessasparis, Alec Aronwald, Carter Gilpin, and Declan Swartwood. He also expects other seniors and juniors to be leaders, even though they might not have the title of captain. The varsity team, however, is not dominated by seniors and juniors only. Coach Brothers believes sophomores and even a freshman will be major contributors this season. Brothers describes the group as “On paper, talent wise, the best team we’ve had in the past six years.”

Three talented players that will have a major impacts are Declan Swartwood, Miles Kenny, and Carter Gilpin. Declan leads the attack, Miles runs the midfield, and Carter holds down the defense. A great plus for the team is also returning goalie Matthew Bessasparis. The experience in front of the net will have a great impact. Lastly the team has two skilled face off players in Tyler Hugo and Jack Warren.

In order to achieve the targets that Coach Brothers set forth, he asks for a “total commitment” from his players. He said, “Really my goal for the team is for them to make a commitment for the next two and a half months. If they can make a total commitment good stuff will happen.” Coach Brothers believes that is all about being ready for states. Miles Kenny is optimistic that they will have a great season. He said, “We have a strong team overall that can work very well together.”

The teams preseason is loaded with matches and training. First they went to florida, where they held three practices and had five scrimmages in a few days. The team’s objectives were to have fun, stay healthy, and get a little better. Now that they have returned, five more scrimmages are to be played before the season opener. The opening game is away on March 25th at Chatham.