Four BHS skiers qualify for Race of Champions

Gabby Sena skiing down hill.
Adrienne Manzi
Gabby Sena skiing down hill.

Bernards’ ski team announced that four team members; Avery Bolton, Gabby Sena, James Zukowsky, and Justin Brach have been placed into the Race of Champions, out of 17 of Bernards skiers. 40% of all racers in the league got placed into the race. Avery Bolton said, “I feel pretty confident going into Race of Champions because I have raced in it for the past two years. I am nervous, but thinking of it as just any other race definitely helps.”

All of these racers said that they feel they have prepared well for this race. They all train every night after school, in hope that the training pays off. “My coach has been training me hard and I would say that I am well prepared.” said James Zukowsky. Each one of them will make sure to wax and sharpen their skis to make sure that their edges are sharp for the race.

The racers seem to all have set goals for this race. Avery’s goal is, “to get in the top 15 so I can go to New Hampshire and race for New Jersey.” It is Justin’s last race ever, so he’d “really like to go out with a bang.” As for Gabby Sena and James Zukowsky, it is their first time racing in this, so they don’t have a time to beat, but they still want to do well. According to James, “as long as I don’t come in last place, I’m happy.”

This is an opportunity for the racers to prove and show what they can do. Gabby says, “It would mean a lot to me because of the hard work and time I put in to get here, would really pay off.” Justin, who is graduating this spring, really wants to end well, “The Race of Champions is the culmination of all of my previous ski races up to this point; it’s the end of one of the most amazing experiences in my life, and it’s extremely bittersweet watching the time pass and my favorite sport slowly slip away from me. Skiing well will give me a great sentiment of closure – something I need after dedicating so much of time on the mountains with a multitude of incredible teams over the years.”