Girls track team wins the Sectional title

Winter+Track+team+poses+for+a+group+photo.+
Dominick Destefano
Winter Track team poses for a group photo.

Although for most of the girls on the Track & Field team, their season is over, they had a very successful year as a team. For the 8th consecutive year, the Winter Girls Track & Field won the Group 2 Sectional Title.

Many athletes stood out during the day, including Taylor Murphy, who placed 2nd in the 55m dash and the 55m hurdles; Sydney Rudin who placed 1st in the 800m and 3rd in the 400m, and Paige Petty who placed 3rd in the 1600m and 4th in the 3200m. The Sectional Meet came down to the very last race of the day, the 4×400 meters relay. On the team was Sydney Rudin, Taylor Murphy, Mathini Vaikunthan, and Elee Khademi, and they came in 2nd behind Summit. After that race, the Bernards team won the Sectional Title with ½ a point over Summit.

Those who placed in the Sectional meet, then moved on to the Group meet in which 6 girls represented Bernards. At Groups Paige Petty placed 6th in the 1600m, Sydney Rudin placed 4th in the 800m, Taylor Murphy placed 6th in the 55m hurdles and all moved on to the Meet of Champions.

At the Meet of Champions Petty, Rudin, and Murphy, along with Danielle Aharoni who got wild carded, all competed and represented Bernards well.

This was the first year Coach Morris worked as head coach, and the team was really appreciative of her hard work, along with Coach Szostak’s and Coach Latzke’s.