Style Preview: Junior Prom

With junior prom around the corner on March 31, junior girls are scrambling to claim their prom dresses before it’s too late. This year it is taking place at the Basking Ridge Country Club, and it is expected that most of the junior class will attend. From deep Vs, to open backs to fitted styles, this year’s dresses look straight off of the runway. As early as January, a Facebook prom group was created where all the girls in our grade could claim their prom dresses so that no one else could take them. Not surprisingly, every dress looks kind of similar in style; flowy, simple, open-back or open-leg, and bright colors.

The first popular style is open-back or open-leg dresses. Many girls are going for dresses with intricate open backs. Whether the back has some ties in the back, a fabric pattern, or nothing at all, multiple girls are going for simple dresses with the addition of an open back. Another popular style is leg slits. Many girls are wearing dresses that have one slit on one leg to add some flare to a simple dress. This is a popular style because this way, girls can show off their shoes while still wearing the traditional long dress at the same time.

Another popular style is the deep v necks on dresses. Many girls are wearing dresses with a deep V in the front, either bound by a halter top or two separate sleeves. This is popular because, like the other styles, it is simple but adds more style to a plain dress, and it is usually featured on flowy dresses. It also leaves room for chokers or layering necklaces,which are very popular in today’s style. In contrast, some girls are going for a very high neckline, which is also simple but cute. These high neckline dresses are popular for tighter dresses.

As far as colors go, girls are going with bright colors this year. Whether it’s pastels, a bright pink, or a flaming red, many are going bold with their colors. Some girls are also going with simpler colors such as black, gray, or white. One thing that is common about all the dresses is that they are very simple. Most dresses have none or very little bling or sparkles, and instead are just one solid color. Junior Bianca Pineda said that many of the dresses this year are simple “Bernards has a really simple dress style with little bling, which I think is nice”.

Throughout different generations, prom styles evolve more and more every year. This year’s overall simple and eloquent style will create for an elegant junior class at prom this year. Although many dresses share similar styles, they are also different for each individual. Katelin Brito says that “all the dresses are all unique in a certain way. Each dress fits the style of that particular person.” It looks like the Bernards junior class will look very stylish at prom this year, as always.