Award Show Blunders

The much awaited Award season approaches with a number of mistakes from various shows such as the Oscars, Academy Awards and the Grammys, that has the audience wondering whether or not Award shows are truly accurate or not. Movie titles have been mixed up, actresses have left without their deserved awards, and as a result people are starting to question the real meaning of these award shows.

One of the most famous and recent mishaps occurred in the Academy Awards, when the movie “La La Land”, a recently released movie, was first announced the “best picture of the year” award by Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. After a sudden plot twist, puzzled looks from the hosts, and shocking reactions from the audience, it turned out the real winner of this especially honorable award was actually the film “Moonlight”, which had also been previously released.

After various questions from the crowd, it was confirmed that the accounting firm , PricewaterhouseCoopers, who have been responsible for the organization of the Academy Awards for 8 decades, were evidently the cause of this. Later Dennis M Nalley, CEO of PricewaterHouseCoopers, came out to the public to apologize for the mistakes and how they were handled, “PwC takes full responsibility for the series of mistakes and breaches of established protocols during last night’s Oscars,”.

That’s just one out of many, earlier at the Grammy’s there was some performance mishaps when it came to 5 grammy winner Adele, when she openly hit the stage to memorialize George Michael. She begins, stops halfway through her performance, and then says ““I’m sorry. I can’t mess this up for him,” she said to the audience. “Can we start again?.”

The crowd was a bit amused as it had not been her first mishap, however her final performance received a great standing ovation from the whole room. Then there are minor ones, such as when Michael Keaton mistakenly announces that “Octavia Spencer was nominated for Hidden Fences”, instead of “Hidden Figures”.

These award show mishaps became viral “memes” on social media as well as the talk of Award season, but many seem to not understand how these things can even be allowed in such prestigious named shows.

Many BHS students tuned in to watch these shows every year, and witness these blunders. Brooke Norris, Freshman at Bernards High said, “They should know what they’re doing before they give their word, since it’s incredibly embarrassing to both the organization and the actors”. Another BHS freshman, Jenna Mchale said, “When given the results of each one, they should have the correct one in hand and if anything they should learn and organize all of their stuff before they get up there. A lot of money goes into these shows for things like this to even happen.”

These mistakes and blunders have happened all throughout time and every time the crowd gets a good laugh at the, but it does affect the reputation and images of these organizations.