“Passengers” Movie Review

Hollywood has a myriad of A-list movie stars, and Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt are among some of the top performers. Both celebrities teamed up together for the movie “Passengers” which was released on December 21st, 2016.

Clocking in at 116 minutes, this movie is rather short, but the storyline is interesting. Trailers have been all over the TV and YouTube, which makes sense for a movie with two big-name actors. The general storyline of Passengers focuses around two passengers aboard a spaceship who wake up ninety years early, due to a malfunction in the sleeping chambers.

Space-themed movies have proven to be rather popular in recent years. Movies such as “Gravity”, “Interstellar” and “The Martian” have all been highly successful space films, proving the world’s fascination with space and the uncertainty that accompanies it.

With an estimated budget of $110,000,000 and gross earnings of $66,000,201, according to IMDb, this movie has been highly successful. Yet, as with most movies, there are many critics.

With Jennifer Lawrence being a highly comical actress, I felt that using her humor throughout the movie could have made the movie better. However, the movie is not a comedy, and it focuses on something rather serious- traveling into space and having something malfunction.

While the movie fell under the category of “Fantasy/Science Fiction”, I believe this was slightly misleading because much of the movie revolved around the “Romance” of the two main characters end up falling in love.

Additionally, I felt like the movie could have had more substance within its plot. Simply having two characters wake up ninety years before others, with the task of saving every passenger’s life is not a compelling plot line and can only do so much. While Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence have phenomenal on-screen chemistry, this cannot suffice for the lack of interesting plot.

Variety Magazine reviewed “Passengers”, and said, “What’s lackluster about ‘Passengers’ isn’t just that the movie is short on surprise, but that it’s like a castaway love story set in the world’s largest, emptiest shopping mall in space.” NPR also described Passengers as “a fairy tale set aboard a luxury spaceliner” that “has billion-dollar ideas and five-cent guts.”

I agree with the reviews and feel that this movie was unnecessarily hyped up, and I therefore would give this movie a rating of 7/10. There are many other movies, some even set to release within the next few months, that are much more worth your time and money.