Bernards fall sports earns immense recognition

After a fall full of W’s and championships for Bernards sports, it came as no surprise when multiple players and Coach Laspada were recognized for their efforts and success. As fall sports have officially come to an end and winter sports begin, the success of Bernards’ fall sport athletes is recognized.

Starting with boys soccer, Dan Paez and Nico Arce Arza were recognized in the Courier News as first team all area players. Dan Paez finished his senior season with sixteen goals and nineteen assists, many of these goals coming in clutch during crucial games. Paez was a key player to the Mountaineers immense success this year, and he will certainly be missed next year.

Nico Arce Arza totaled five goals and three assists on the season and also served as a key player during games that had to be won. He certainly proved his potential on the field this year, and his talent and skill will serve the Mountaineers very well next year as he returns for his final season.

This year for the boys soccer team Andres Lezme and Nick Neptune were recognized as second team all area players. Freddy Ludtke and Max Stanley were recognized as third team all area and lastly David McMillan and Vinnie Cabrera were recognized for honorable mention.

Certainly all of the seniors this year had been playing together for a long time, and proved they are very good at what they do. With eight seniors starting this year, next year will certainly be an adjustment for the boys soccer team. Many of the younger players will need to step up and work hard to be as successful as the team was this year.

In addition to the multiple soccer players recognized for their efforts, the coach behind the team’s success was recognized as well. Coach LaSpada led the varsity boy’s soccer team to history this past season. His dedication and motivation has paid off as Bernards soccer team obtained three championships for the first time in program history. Kian Fazel said that “he is a very passionate coach” who “takes practice very seriously” and “doesn’t let us leave practice until we look perfect.” Coach LaSpada’s thirst for perfection pushed the Mountaineers to be their best, and in the end it paid off.

As for this past football season, Matt Tantleff, Andrew Best, Marc Murphy, Bobby DePoortere, Timmy Lallis, Cubby Schuller received all area recognition. Despite their heartbreaking loss to Manasquan in the Group II sectional final game, the Mountaineer football team has much to be proud of for what they accomplished during the past season.

One player that stood out this season was Matt Tantleff. Matt Tantleff was recognized as the Courier News Offensive Football Player of the year. Additionally, Tantleff was named first captain for the Mountaineers and lead his team to the sectional final against Manasquan for only the second time in program history.

Tantleff is a playmaker; an athlete who can be put in any position and excel. Tantleff stands out as a player offensively and defensively and finished the season with 43 catches for 843 yards and 1,017 rushing yards. Defensively, he had 57 tackles and two interceptions. Tantleff was a force to be reckoned with this past season, and he will certainly be missed by the Bernards football program next year.