Morris County Deirdre’s House Giving Tree

Part of a new initiative to give back, the Junior class at Bernards High School is getting into the holiday spirit by participating in a gift drive with Deirdre’s Giving House.

Deirdre’s House is based in Morris County, and serves as a shelter to child victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.

Deirdre’s House began in 1994, and is the only location in Morris County that provides in depth legal and medical services, in English or Spanish, for children who must testify in a trial and those who need counseling with a pediatric abuse specialist.

This year, Deirdre’s House is holding a “wish list” drive of toys for their patients. Some kids and families are requesting toys and other holiday gifts, while others are requesting necessities throughout the season.

The approximately 30 children in need vary greatly in age. Those requesting gifts, toys, or other aid ranges from toddlers at three months old, to teenagers, as well as entire families.

The “ornaments”, or gift/necessity request tags hanging on the tree in Mrs. Clark’s room, have all thankfully been taken. On Tuesday, December 13, multiple gifts were dropped off, fulfilling the request for over 60 donations.

Junior class advisor Mrs. Clark says, “I am very excited because we had a tremendous outpouring of donations from both students, staff and the community. It’s wonderful to be able to do good, donate, and help those who are less fortunate at this time.”

Senior Lejla Hodzic said, “I think it’s great that they are doing a toy drive. Some don’t have enough to spend and it’s really great to give back especially during the holidays.”

Freshman Charles Porr said, “It’s great that the Students at BHS are giving back and helping our community during this time of the Year.”