Mountaineers look to blitz the competition

After months of practice, weight room workouts, and seven on seven scrimmages, the Bernards High football regular season is well underway. The Bernards Mountaineers have experienced success in recent years with a record of 38-13 since 2010.  However, over the last two seasons, the team has struggled defensively. Posting a record of 8-5 over their last 13 games, the team is looking to make another run towards success to complete this 2016 season. Their record, as of now, is 3-2 and it is imperative that they win the remainder of their games to remain eligible for the state tournament.

The team has four Senior Captains; Matt Tantleff, Stephen Gribben, Bobby dePorteere and Marc Murphy. The captains have succeeded in keeping the team unified thus far. They continuously motivate teammates and are the true definition of a team. This team is lead by star wide receiver, Matt Tantleff, who has nine touchdowns already within the first five games. In addition, running back Marc Murphy has been very consistent, posting over 300 yards in this young season. Senior quarterback Stephen Gribben has thrown for over 770 yards over the past two seasons. He was recently ranked number four in the state for total passing yards. The offense,statistically, has been excellent. The team works together and has a great ability to put points on the board.

There have been two home games thus far for the Mountaineers, and the turnout from the fans has been fantastic. Senior Raymond Delk noted how he has never “seen the crowd like this in years. The amount of people cheering us on makes us feel great.” Senior Curt Gouldin stated that “it was an electric atmosphere. One that you can’t find anywhere else”. The fans have been behind this team through the thick and thin. With two more home games left in the season, the “Red Sea” is going to do whatever it takes to motivate this team to make it to the state tournament.

The Bernards squad is mostly made up of seniors, however there is a solid group of starting underclassmen as well. Sophomores Ethan Caldwell and PJ Chisolm have proved their potential thus far in the season. PJ is poised to assume the role of quarterback next season and has progressed nicely from his freshmen to sophomore year. Ethan Caldwell has been a major asset to this team as both wide receiver and as cornerback. He has also assisted on special teams by making tackles and being a smart player on the field.

The football team’s two losses were against two very good teams; Roselle and AL Johnson High School. The Mountaineers have beaten Malcolm X Shabazz High School, Hillside High School and New Providence High School. The team has been carried by their offense which has successfully put numbers on the board. The defense has improved with each game and has only given up 23 points in their last two games. If the defense can continue this hot streak, the team is sure to close out on a positive note.