Athlete in the Spotlight: Lily Simon

Athlete in the Spotlight: Lily Simon

Lily Simon’s appreciable field hockey skills have been on display the past few days as the Bernards field hockey team opened their season on September 8th against Franklin. She returns for her junior year field hockey season at Bernards High School.

Lily serves as a valuable asset to the field hockey team as a forward. In the first game of the season, Lily found the back of the net and scored the lone goal in overtime that lead Bernards to their victory. Lily has evidently proven her potential by scoring two goals in the first two games of the season, including the second game against South Hunterdon.

The Bernards field hockey team remains optimistic about the season, and when speaking to Lily Simon she remarked how she is most excited about “playing (and hopefully beating) Madison High School.” Lily likes to describe her team as “unselfish,” because “everyone roots for one another” and “understands winning is a team effort.”

The key to the Bernards field hockey team’s success this year is working together, according to Lily. In addition, senior captain, Kate DeMarco, made note of “how close the team has become” in such a “short amount of time.” Kate believes “this close-knit team will only help improve the playing and communication” on the field.

When talking to Lily, she seemed incredibly confident in the team’s ability to make it far in the state and county tournaments. Last year, the team reached the county finals and lost to Bridgewater. This year, a big team goal includes making it to the county final and hopefully ending up with the W. Through the team’s hard work and determination, Lily confidently believes this goal can be achieved.

After losing key starters from last year’s season, the Bernards field hockey team did not know what to expect coming into this season. However, multiple upperclassmen have taken initiative and stepped up to fortify the team and their potential. Lily Simon has evidently been a key player to the Bernards field hockey team’s early success, and is definitely a diverse player to keep watching as the field hockey season continues.