Mother Teresa declared a saint

Huffington Post
Image of Mother Teresa

Pope Francis has named Mother Teresa’s second miracle, the last thing needed for her to be declared a saint.

Mother Teresa was a Roman Catholic religious sister who served the poor while living among them. She left her home at 18 and joined an abbey in Ireland and a year later, moved to Ireland where she lived and worked among the poor. In 1971, she was awarded the first Pope John XXIII Peace Prize, recognizing her work with the poor, dedication to Christian charity and the efforts she made towards peace. She lived a life dedicated to charity up until her death on September 5, 1997.

Mother Teresa’s road to sainthood began in October of 2003 when she was beatified by Pope John Paul II. The miracle that was needed for her beatification occurred on the first anniversary of her death when a woman who had a large abdominal tumor woke up and found the tumor completely gone after people from the local church prayed to Mother Teresa for her healing. The declaration of this miracle named her “blessed”.

On December 17, 2015, the catholic church recognized a second miracle attributed to Mother Teresa, the final step needed in order to declare her a saint. The miracle occurred when a Brazilian man with multiple brain tumors was healed after his loved ones prayed to Mother Teresa for his healing.
The church has yet to set a definite date for her canonisation.