Students volunteer at the Matheny school for the holiday season

Christmas at Matheny 2015
Ace Lane, Jr.
Christmas at Matheny 2015

With the holidays approaching, many families and friends are preparing to spend time together. At Matheny, the people who work and live there are helping those who live there prep for the holidays as well. Matheny is a special hospital, located in Peapack, New Jersey, and aims to provide for both children and adults with developmental disabilities. Their students, patients, and residents come from many different backgrounds, and Matheny celebrates everyone’s traditions and holidays. Residents look forward yearly to the holidays at Matheny. They celebrate Thanksgiving, Chaunukah, Kwanza, open presents on Christmas Day, and welcome the New Year.

As for creating an atmosphere that correlates with their holidays, Matheny decorates the building. Decorating is done by both staff and volunteers, and some of the decorations are even homemade and provided by Matheny residents. The Friends Of Matheny also work together to place a decorated wreath on every resident’s door, celebrating the season and bringing holiday joy to the residents. Certain rooms in the building, such as the main lobby and art room, include a tree put up by the staff. They often create a paper fireplace for the dining hall each year, and put up an artificial tree next to it. Outside the building also features their “Mr. Matheny Star” during the season.
Year round, families are always welcome at Matheny for visitation. Many families celebrate the holidays with their loved ones, as they are always invited to join. They are given the option to participate in any of the activities and games taking place.

Volunteers are a large part of setting up the holidays at Matheny, as many of them mainly contribute to the decoration of the building and bringing holiday spirit to the residents. Several students at Bernards High School volunteer either regularly, or have done so in the past. Susie Veligurskaya, sophomore, has volunteered at Matheny and has helped set up for the holidays a previous year. Susie says “Matheny really had an impact on me, during the holidays everyone is so connected. I always had the best time decorating and setting up.” Gail Cunningham, who provides volunteer services, says that “We are fortunate to have many volunteers who help make the holidays sparkle at Matheny.” Matheny is always welcome to new volunteers, and those interested in helping out during the holidays, or throughout the year, can contact their volunteer services, donate, or take part in their other fundraising activities during the year such as Miles For Matheny.