Gender Neutral Bathrooms: Necessary Change

Photo Courtesy of wecott.csail.mit.edu
An example of a gender neutral bathroom

For many people, going to the bathroom is an everyday thing that requires no anxiety. For some people that are transgender or non-binary, it is uncomfortable for them to do this. It is not right that some kids have to feel this way. A gender neutral bathroom that anyone can use is a good solution to this problem.

Many grammar schools, high schools and colleges are beginning to add gender neutral bathrooms in addition to girls and boys rooms. Miraloma, an elementary school in California was making gender neutral bathrooms. The school is still working on changing the policy. The PTA, Parent-Teacher Association, president said they had not heard a parent say that they didn’t like it. This is a good sign because it shows that parents who don’t have a transgender child are willing to make change to help kids that are. Of course there are questions but they are all about how everything will be organized.

Having a gender neutral bathroom, would make a lot of sense. This would give the kids who are non-binary the ability to use the bathroom without feeling awkward. No one should have to feel anxious or awkward any time that they have to use the restroom. It is not fair that some people have to feel uneasy whenever they go to the bathroom.

Many people are in favor for having a gender neutral bathroom. The idea of a gender neutral bathroom being added to the school is a great idea for kids who are transgender or non-binary.