95th Annual Far Hills Races Captivates Tri-State Area

Students+socializing+in+the+infield.+
Julia Blejwas
Students socializing in the infield.

This weekend people from all across the country came to celebrate 95th annual Far Hills Race Meeting. The Far Hills Races was founded in about 1870 by the Essex Hunt which is a fox hunting event in Montclair, NJ. The Essex Fox Hounds created this event to give thanks to farmers and landowners that allowed them to hunt on their property. This race was originally known as the The Farmer’s Day Race Meeting which included the New Jersey Hunt Cup Steeplechase. The Far Hills Race Meeting is known to be held in the Moorland Farm in Far Hills, New Jersey. Although, this event wasn’t moved to the Grant B. Schley estate, the Moorland Farm, from it’s original site until 1916. In order for entry you must have purchased a ticket, which this year went from $60 to $100.

Did you attend "The Hunt"?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About 35,000 spectators gather around the field each year to watch the highly competitive horses in the six races that occur throughout the day. Although it was predicted this year that the number of spectators going to the event would decrease in result of the influx of ticket prices, the outcome proved otherwise. This year there was an exceedingly amount of young adults in the infield enjoying tailgates starting from 8 am.  The races were predicted to purse a total of $600,000 in the 2015 event, one of them being the Grand National which is the country’s richest race. Dawalan was the winner of this year’s Grand National race taking home the $300,000 prize. This money raised benefits healthcare in the area and Somerset Health Care Foundation which supports the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset in Somerville.

The day of “the hunt” is packed with people in the Far Hills area, up to the point where Far Hills became a standstill from the moment the races start all the way until the end. Furthermore, October 15th is filled with many traditional outfits sported by the spectators such as riding boots, riding pants, jeans, riding jackets, blazers, vests, scarves, and sunglasses. For many of the younger audiences fashion is the most important, especially this year.

The field is not also filled with patterns from left to right but also with many cars, trucks, and tents of which people purchase to share a nice tailgate with family and friends. There are many options in which you could have your own spot such as a car tailgate, or a tent. The cost of a car spot can be up to about $1000 depending on where you’re located on the field. Although in order to purchase an entertainment tent, the prices range anywhere from 4,000 to 25,000 depending on the type of package. In addition to the entertainment tents is the Chairman’s Tent which costs an extra $750.

Aside from the beautiful horses that graciously race all day, the food is known to be one of the best parts of the races. This year, about 15 of the most well known food businesses around the area catered for The Races. Some of the places including Butlers Pantry, Delicious Heights, Monterey Gourmet and Redwoods. The 2015’s Far Hills Race Meeting was a big turnout and many are already getting excited for next year’s event.