Miles for Matheny Raises Funds, Awareness for Local School

www.milesformatheny.org

On Sunday May 31st, The Matheny School will be holding their 18th annual Miles for Matheny. The Matheny School is located in Peapack and the event will be held at Liberty Park from 8:30 to 12:30. According to the Matheny School website, the school is “a special hospital for children and adults with medically complex developmental disabilities and a special education school providing academics, combined with functional life skills, for students, ages 3-21.” Matheny is home to 101 children and adults with developmental disabilities and this event provides them with the opportunity for social interaction outside of the school. Volunteering at this event is a great way to obtain community service hours and to give back to the community while having a great time.

There are multiple events that take place at the park including: 3 different cycling events, a kids fun run, a fitness walk, and a wheelchair walk with the students of Matheny. Attendees of the event will be exposed to uplifting events that will benefit the Matheny School and their students. If you wish to participate in any of the runs or cycling races, visit www.milesformatheny.com and register. Refreshments are served for those who attend the event, whether you volunteered or participated in an event. Miles for Matheny is a great way to make memories with the students and to experience all that the Matheny school has to offer. Many members of the community come together, along with other volunteers to make an enjoyable time for everyone who comes to show support for the school. As well as make memorable moments for family members and relatives who are a part of the school.

This year’s Miles for Matheny was the 15th that I have been involved with. I especially enjoyed the interaction between our children and young adults and the many wonderful volunteers, participants and members of the surrounding communities. The wheelchair walk is always the highlight of the day.

— Gail Cunningham, Volunteer

The Matheny School’s 18th annual Miles for Matheny took place on May 31st. From 8:30-12:30, volunteers, patients, students, and parents all bonded over special events to benefit the students at The Matheny School. According to the Matheny School website, “Matheny is a special hospital for children and adults with medically complex developmental disabilities. We are a special education school providing academics, combined with functional life skills, for students, ages 3-21. A comprehensive outpatient center meeting the health care needs of people with all types of disabilities in the community. Matheny also trains healthcare professionals, therapists and educators in how to work effectively with persons who have developmental disabilities. Matheny’s main campus in Peapack, NJ, is home to 101 children and adults with developmental disabilities. Its five group homes, located in Somerset and Warren counties, provide a residence in the community for an additional 30 adults. Many of the children and adults currently at Matheny.”

The event began with sign ups for volunteers as well as the cycling events. During the cycling races and runs, the patients were spread around the park participating in fun activities. Some of the activities include face painting, which was  All who participated were welcomed to a buffet of refreshments before and after the walk had begun served by family members and volunteers. A cotton candy machine as well as an ice cream truck offered delicious ice cream and cotton candy to the kids, adults and patients. To support the students and patients during the wheelchair walk, posters were made and held up at the finish line by volunteers. During the walk hundreds of residents came out in support of the children and adults which made the day all in all a fun eventful afternoon. Gail Cunningham, a volunteer at Matheny said “This year’s Miles for Matheny was the 15th that I have been involved with.  I especially enjoyed the interaction between our children and young adults and the many wonderful volunteers, participants and members of the surrounding communities.  The wheelchair walk is always the highlight of the day. “ Following the event, there was a barbecue at the Matheny School for the patients and students.